Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:54:54 AM EDT
My first AR build. RRA lower with a stainless 16 inch  barrel. It was suprisingly simple to assemble. Now the problem. At the range using Wolf ammo, the first mag ran fine. This was my goal in building my own I wanted a rifel that would run on anything. I reallize that wolf is dirty ammo. I clean my firearms religiously and don't mind the extra work. I find it relaxing. After that first magazine things changed. Now it would fire one round, eject fine and then no fire. Pull the charging handle, fires fine ,ejects and then no click. I have had this happen with Wolf in another AR but corrected itself with any other ammo. Not on this build. I tried Remington ammo and the same problem remained.
I'm sure that the wolf ammo question has been beaten to death. Did I miss something in my build. When the pin hits the dimple is well defined.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I for got to mention that I used several different magazines with both the Wolf and the Remington ammo.
I would post a picture but... I got no clue how.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This was my goal in building my own I wanted a rifel that would run on anything.

That's the reason I don't build my own upper assemblies.

When you say "no click"  do you mean the chamber was empty?  or is it not firing on a live round that was in the chamber.

Sounds like short stroking to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
When you get a failure are you hearing the hammer fall?

From the "no click" comment I'm guessing not. Is that correct?

and is there  a fresh round in the chamber?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes click no fire. There is a round in the chamber. Pull charging handle, the round ejects, the next round loads properly and fires when I squeeze the trigger. It's almost like the back pressure isn't enough? Maybe it's not going far enough back. Basically  I'm opulling the trigger with a round in the chamber and the gun isn't cocked. Perfect for CMP a single  shot AR.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Check your carrier key and make sure the screws are tight and properly staked.  If not, tighten and stake them yourself.

Free Tweak!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  You must have some springs in backwards or some shit.  What kind of lower parts kit did you use, Cuz?

If it's ejecting the spent round It should easily be cocking the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like short stroking to me.  I imagine the hammer IS cocked but he doesn't think it is.  If you installed the hammer and/or trigger springs incorrectly it would compound your problems.  Check the springs as well just to be sure.

Are you using the correct buffer and spring?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I appologize for not making myself clear. I load a magazine pull the charging handle and press the trigger. The rifle fires fine. It ejects the spent casing. A round is stripped from the magazine and loads. I press the trigger and there is no click. As if the AR isn't cocked. This should have happened when it ejected the spent round correct.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I appologize for not making myself clear. I load a magazine pull the charging handle and press the trigger. The rifle fires fine. It ejects the spent casing. A round is stripped from the magazine and loads. I press the trigger and there is no click. As if the AR isn't cocked. This should have happened when it ejected the spent round correct.

What happens when you insert a mag loaded with 1 round, chamber that round, and fire?  If the bolt carrier locks back on the empty mag, you're not short-stroking.  If it doesn't, you're short-stroking.  Wolf isn't very hot, so that's not an unusual problem.

In any case, however, if the carrier is cycling enough to eject the case and chamber a new round, the hammer should be cocking.  What hammer do you have?  What bolt do you have?  When you pull the carrier back manually, how far do you have to pull before you hear the hammer lock back?

It sounds like a mis-assembled lower.  Something isn't resetting fast enough to allow the hammer to be caught when the bolt carrier cycles under recoil.

We need pics.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
#  Verify that hammer locks to the rear when pushed back.
# Verify that hammer pivots forward when trigger is pressed.
# Without releasing the trigger, push the hammer back again and verify that it locks (caught by disconnector).
# Releasing the trigger should not cause the hammer to pivot fully forward (caught by trigger).
# Hammer will fall when trigger is pressed.

I built the lower on a RRA stripped reciever. The parts for the lower came with the upper kit. I disassembled and checked the spripng on the disconnector. Does it go in a certain way.
In the above check list I get to number 3. My hammer won't stay back when I keep the trigger pressed.
What causes this?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]
sounds like the disconnector spring is in backwards. flip it and try again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
#  Verify that hammer locks to the rear when pushed back.
# Verify that hammer pivots forward when trigger is pressed.
# Without releasing the trigger, push the hammer back again and verify that it locks (caught by disconnector).
# Releasing the trigger should not cause the hammer to pivot fully forward (caught by trigger).
# Hammer will fall when trigger is pressed.

I replaced the spring and disconnector. I had a spare from a reapir kit. The spring appeared to be installed correctly wide side toward the trigger. Well with the replacement parts in I can pass the function check at the beginning of the post.
Thanks You guys saved me a wasted trip to the range. Went yesterday with the wife and nothing(AR AK) ran right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help folks. It was the disconnector or the spring, I replaced both. She went thru 300 rounds without a hitch. Wolf, Remington and , 100 rounds of PCA Spectrum. This ammo has plastic casing. Not the slightest problem. Thanks again. My first build and all I did wrong was put in one spring backwards. I won't do that again. How do you post pictures. She runs, I'll let her out now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top