Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/2/2004 2:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2004 4:41:04 PM EDT by Drennan10]
Greenhorn in of some need some help deciding on what upper to buy. I am turning my shorty Bushmaster into a varmit rifle. I have been looking at the Rock River 20" EPO and also a Wilson national match 24" upper. Do any of you guys have any recomendations on what to buy or what not to buy? I am looking for as much percision as possible for right around $500. Would a 24" barel out shoot a 22"? What is the optimom twist ratio? Any help would be great.
Thanx, Drennan
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:02:16 PM EDT
If you can get the dealer price from Brownells you can get a complete DPMS bbl stainless with chrome bolt included for less then $500. I have the 16 inch and love it although I had it armor tuffed so its not stainless anymore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:28:15 PM EDT
Hi Drennan: I have a Rock River Varminter with a 24" wilson stainless 1 in 8 twist barrel. It will shot dime size 5 shot groups at 100yds when I do my part. You might want to look at the Rock River website and check out their uppers. Good luck in your choice. George in snowly and cold Seattle
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:12:50 PM EDT
You can use a 1/9 twist for up to 69gr. bullets, but a 1/8 would be better for heavy rounds. Stainless has accuracy/corrosion advantages. After 20" of barrel you are not getting much more of a speed fps advantage and I don't know why people get these long barrels unless it's for the extended sight distance with iron sights, or for looks. A free-floating handguard is going to give you the most accuracy advantage out of any change you can make. I would go with a 20" free-floated stainless barreled upper by whatever manufacturer you could find.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:26:01 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses guys. But I just got back from buying a Bushmaster Varmiteer. I hope it was a good choice. As usual I just couldn't wait.Now I have got to figure out what scope to buy for no more than $400. Any Ideas????
Top Top