Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:31:15 AM EDT
I'm wondering what your opinions are on the cannelure. Do you look for it, do you try to avoid it, does it matter, why does or doesn't it matter to you? You get the idea.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the bullet design. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to look for it. The cannelure is supposed to crimp the lead core in place *I think*. Not all bullets need cannelures though. The cannelure may be detrimental to a bullets function - it all depends on what it's designed for. If you're talking about M193 specifically, then I believe that the cannelure is an integral feature. I don't doubt that you could make a bullet without a cannelure fragment just like M193 if you put your mind to it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
In .223 and AR rifles specifically, I generally prefer loads that have a cannelure if I can get them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
For your viewing pleasure, Hornady 75gr BTHP
[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze1nzcr/ar15/Dscf0023.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo is with cannelures is required for maximum reliability in self loaders. The cannelure prevents bullet set back on feeding, which will lead to failures to feed, and bullet jump on chambering, which will lead to higher chamber pressures. Cannelures are also an aid to fragmentation as they create a pre stressed portion of the bullet jacket.

Note, I didn't say that I never shoot ammo without cannelures. I did have a fun time one day with some non cannelured 40 grain HPs. I wound up turning my AR into a kinetic bullet puller.

Cannelures, along with staked primers, thicker brass, annealing, and waterproofed case mouths and primers, lead to extremely reliable ammo which in turn leads to extremely reliable weapons. However, those things cost (more) money.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top