Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 7:06:40 AM EDT
"If" it does sunset what would it change. One day i'm going to read the whole thing. Fine, no more post bans but do you think the manufactures will make preban spec-rifles again and drop their prices? i would have to say no. I think they need every penny they get to defend themselves against law suites. Why charge $600 for a postban when you can get $900. If you walk into a dealer and see a preban for $1800 do you think if the ban sunsets and you walk into the same dealer do you think that rifle is going to be any cheaper? Prices are still going up. I put in extra hours of work every week so i can buy a couple extra prebans. I'm not into prebans for the money I just love to shoot. we are all here because of our love affair with the ar-15. Maybe because it was an extension of our body for years in the service.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
"If" it does sunset what would it change.
View Quote

It isn't "if" it is when.  The ban will sunset.  There isn't anything in the law that makes it "renewable".  If "they" want to keep the ban then "they" will have to draft a new law and get it passed by both houses and have the President sign it.

Fine, no more post bans but do you think the manufactures will make preban spec-rifles again and drop their prices? I would have to say no.
View Quote

I don't think so either.  We have already shown them that we will pay $25 for a magazine or $900 for a post ban and $1500 for a pre ban gun.  I don't know were people get the idea that if there isn't any "Assault weapons" ban that the prices are going to drop to before 1994 prices.

If I am wrong, please, someone explain it to me.  I am willing to "learn" from anyone.  Believe me, I would love it if prices drop and I can put any lovely attachment on my gun that I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
me too, prices always go up and nothing gets easier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
do you think the manufactures will make preban spec-rifles again and drop their prices?
View Quote

When the BAN goes away, of course they will continue to make rifles with evil features, they just will be able to sell them to a larger market than they do know, and will not have to put LEO markings on them. They may continue to sell rifles without those features, if there is a demand.

I see no reason why prices would drop, people seem willing to pay $700 or so for the gun right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
is this going to create another catagory. post-post ban?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
is this going to create another catagory. post-post ban?
View Quote

ONLY if there is a NEW ban enacted. ONLY if the new ban does NOT have a grandfather clause.

The ban WILL expire. Period. There is not an, "OK, this thing HAS to be voted on now..." clause.

14 Spt 2004, the terms preban and postban are NULL AND VOID. "Prebans" are then renamed, "OLD, USED AR-type rifles"
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but please don't let your guard down.  Yes, this ban will expire but don't think, not for a second, that the anti-gunners are going to go away without a fight.  Please, keep the pressure on your Senators and Representatives.  Also, keep your eye on states like California because they have their own laws that go above and beyond the federal ban...don't count on them dropping their laws and be on the lookout for other states trying to take matters into their own hands.  Sorry for the rant but we have to remain vigilant.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now [:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking forward to my pre-ban losing value.

:)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI:

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2038

To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 8, 2003

Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York (for herself, Mr. SHAYS, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. SMITH of New Jersey, Mr. NADLER, Ms. LOFGREN, Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas, Ms. WATERS, Mr. MEEHAN, Mr. DELAHUNT, Mr. WEXLER, Mr. WEINER, Ms. LINDA T. SANCHEZ of California, Mr. EMANUEL, Mr. CASE, Mrs. MALONEY, Ms. CORRINE
BROWN of Florida, Mr. KENNEDY of Rhode Island, Mr. RANGEL, Ms. WOOLSEY, Mr. ACKERMAN, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Mr. HONDA, Mr. STARK, Ms. SOLIS, Ms. LEE, Mr. VAN HOLLEN, Mr. WAXMAN, Mr. TOWNS, Ms. ROYBAL-ALLARD, Mr. GRIJALVA, Ms. CARSON of Indiana, Ms. NORTON, Mr. LIPINSKI, Mr. RUSH, Ms. WATSON, Mr. DAVIS of Illinois, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. JACKSON of Illinois, Mr. GUTIERREZ, Mr. OWENS, Mr. BLUMENAUER, Mr. CUMMINGS, Ms. EDDIE BERNICE JOHNSON of Texas, Mr. FARR, Ms.
LORETTA SANCHEZ of California, Mr. MORAN of Virginia, Mr. MARKEY, Mr. ANDREWS, Mr. HOLT, Mr. PAYNE, Mr. MCGOVERN, Mr. PASCRELL, Mr. FRANK of Massachusetts, Mrs. TAUSCHER, Ms. DELAURO, Mr. ENGEL, Mr. CAPUANO, Mr. HOEFFEL, Mrs. LOWEY,
Mr. MENENDEZ, Ms. VELAZQUEZ, Mr. TIERNEY, Mr. BRADY of Pennsylvania, Mr. ROTHMAN, Mr. FATTAH, Ms. HARMAN, Mr. BISHOP of New York, and Mr. LANGEVIN) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 921(a)(30) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

`(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

`(ii) AR-10;

`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

`(iv) AR70;

`(v) Calico Liberty;

`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

`(xi) M1 Carbine; [b]Edit: THE M-1???????[/b]

`(xii) Saiga;

`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

`(xv) SLG 95;

`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

`(xvii) Steyr AUG;

`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

`(xix) Tavor;

`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

`(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Calico M-110;

`(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

`(iii) Olympic Arms OA;

`(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

`(v) Uzi.

`(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Armscor 30 BG;

`(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

`(iii) Striker 12; or

`(iv) Streetsweeper.

`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a pistol grip;

`(iv) a forward grip; or

`(v) a barrel shroud.

`(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

`(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

`(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--

`(i) a second pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a barrel shroud; or

`(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

`(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip;

`(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

`(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

`(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

`(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).

`(K) A conversion kit.

[b]`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable or sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is
suitable for use in a sporting event.'.[/b]

Read more:
[url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable or sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is
suitable for use in a sporting event.'.
[/b]

Wow, talk about vague....

Alex
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm looking forward to my pre-ban losing value.

:)
View Quote

Me, too...

I'll sell the "preban" lowers for $2k each.

The "postban" lowers are set at $500 each.

If you got em,  keep em.  We'll need them!  The lowers are the key.  The uppers will still be out there.

This is a big, fat fucking downhill slide, folks!  They are taking our rights away, one by one.  

Before I die, hopefully 50 years from now, some goon squad will be knocking on my door(flashbang), demanding all my weapons be turned over to them.  You may find this post funny.....  they wont.

Buy em while you can.

my (worthless).02
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#11]
If your not an NRA then you should join or join one of the other pro-gun groups to lobby congress.  If only for one year, this is the year to do it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in California but I seek no pitty.  I have enough self pitty thank you.  I do own four preban assualt rifles all registered with the California Dept of Justice.  They are:

One NIB Colt 9mm (preban)
One new bushmaster with colt upper (preban)
One used colt M4
One used springfield M1A

My take on the ban.  I feel it will be upheld. But I hope it does not.  I would love for all my prebans to go down in value.  I bought them at very reasonable prices ten years ago.  I feel for those who cannot afford the current prebans.

My take on prices if the ban sunsets:

Post bans will disappear and the prices they charge for post bans will be the price of the new prebans.  Maybe a 10% premium.

Just my .10 worth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Sunset, Sunrise...

No matter what, the Fineswines of the world are going to "tighten our rights".  Preban, postban...  what the fuggever.

Our AR's, AK's, FAL'S, HK's, .50's, and the rest of the firearms we like to shoot are going to be banned by the leftists of this world.

I have never fired a shot in anger, tho it seems I may have to break out the .22, in defiance.

Again, no flame intended.  I'm just pissed....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FYI:

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2038

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

snip

View Quote

This is only one thing,... A point that they can compromise from! They KNOW that the House in 96 voted to repeal the ban! Therefore, they come into the bidding "HIGH". After this gets trashcanned, they say, "OK, we'll COMPROMISE,... and settle for one JUST LIKE IN THE SENATE..."

THIS IS THE WORST CASE SCENARIO! No compromise! Ensure the House and Senate bills NEVER match! Make sure NEITHER come up for a vote!

IF they match AND
IF they come up for a vote AND IF they pass,...

...Bush has said he will sign it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top