Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2010 10:27:30 PM EDT
Maybe some might find it interesting. Many people cite the AK-47 as being heavily influenced by the Sturmgewehr44, but the AR10/AR15 was even more influenced.
If we compare a field stripped M16 to a field stripped STG44, we can see a lot of similarities.

1.The two part reciever of the AR15 comes from the STG44. Eugene Stoner took a step forward by actually allowing the recievers to come apart from eachother. The way the bolt comes out the AR15 is also exactly like the way it comes out a STG44. The FAL also takes from the STG44 in that way.
2.The spring loaded buttstock of the M16 came from the STG44.
3.The thumb safety on the AR15 is in a similar location to the STG44's.
4. The magazine release on the M16 is quite similar to the STG44.
5. While not from the STG44, the idea of a raised sight/carrying handle came from the British EM2 rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You forgot the dust cover on the M16 comes directly also from the STG 44, just turned upside down.  I wrote an article comparing the two back in 03-04' for Bravo Company USA.  I'll see if I can dig it up later (two MP44s, one mag and only 60 rds).  The Spanish CEMTE and  later the HK G3 family are heavily infulenced also by the MP43/MP44/STG44 family.

Notice the dust cover on the MP44's here (one open, one closed, then look at the dust cover on the M4A1)

Czech Persian M29 along side MP44

CD
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top