Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2007 1:23:57 PM EDT
I can't believe I am asking this. The only excuse I can come up with is going through a divorce for 3-1/2 months, and thinking I was never going to see my kids again.  

First off - I have never owned a magnified scope before or even a bolt action rifle. Go ahead, laugh now...you have a bigger chuckle coming up next.

I have a Remington 700 LTR and a 10x42 SS Scope. Larue Tactical picitinny rail, Leopold M4 rings.

I finally got the one piece picitinny base mounted, rings, and scope installed.  I am attempting my first "bore sight" out in the garage when I notice something kind of strange (I think).

When I try to adjust the elevation & windage, the reticle moves in the opposite direction that is indicated on the knobs. I twist the knob in the direction indicated for bullet impact point to move up, and the "cross hair" moves down??? Same thing for moving impact point right...the results are opposite.

Something does not seem right here. Maybe I just need a vacation?

Do I have the scope installed wrong?

Did the previous owner mount the scope rotated 90 degrees to the left and swap the turret caps (elevation on the left hand side of the rifle, and windage on the top)?

Forgive me for this grand display of utter stupidity.

Divorce sucks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That's how it's supposed to be.

You're "moving" the point of impact by clicking the knobs, not the point of aim (even though that's actually what you are moving).

If the shot hits an inch high, you'll turn the knob however many clicks "down".   What that does is aim the scope up to the point of impact.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything sounds fine.  The turrets move the bullet's point of impact.  Therefore, when you move the impact of the bullet up, the cross hairs move down.  If you fire a shot, and you want to raise the bullet's impact point on the next shot, you would move the turret in the "up" direction, which moves the cross hairs down, which raises the end of the barrel in relation to the cross hairs, causing the next shot to move up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit: wrong site.  My memory sucks...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers gentlemen...sorry for the brain freeze question.  I understand it now..embarrassing

Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top