Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 5:42:49 PM EDT
Ok , I'm about ready to pull the trigger on buying the 31 . I have a question that I need help with.

How good is the 31 for CQB ? I know its not generally designed for CQB BUT I would like to know how adaptable it can be considering the 1.5" eye relief.

I've seen an Optima mounted on an NSN here , is it possible to mount one on the 31?

I have an Aimpoint on my M4 already but want something with a little more power on the glass for intermediate to long range shooting on a second M4 project.

Thanks , Jack
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you get used to the TA-31's eye relief, it works pretty well. I just picked one up myself and so far it's working out pretty well though I still get "bonked" once in a while (probably around .03% of the time). [B)]

That being said, there's still a place in my "armory" (I use that term very loosely [:)]) for a good non-magnified red dot equipped carbine. The TA-31 is a smokin' optic - no doubt about it. I am starting to see how fast it can be but, so far, it isn't as fast for me as a "true" red dot. If you do wish to use a TA-31 for CQB, you will need to train with it a bit. The good news is you can get faster with (to some degree) with dry firing.

I bought it as a general purpose medium range optic and it fills that role. I'm still going to have a 14.5" bbl AR with an EO Tech 552 for that "up close and personal" stuff. Eventually, my TA-31 will be on a 20" Govt upper.

If you want one optic to do it all, I'd say the TA-31 is a great choice. Maybe I'll warm up to the TA-31 (for CQB) a bit more as time goes by. But, since I already have the EO Tech, I'm going to have (2) rifles with specific roles.

All that being said, since you've already got an Aimpoint, I would keep it AND get the TA-31.
If you get the ARMS #19S for mounting the TA-31, then you will be able to swap your Aimpoint and TA-31 without losing zero (assuming you have a good QD mount, like the ARMS #22M68 for your Aimpoint). If the TA-31 ends up working out for you for CQB, sell the Aimpoint. If not, then you have 2 optics for specific roles.
Practice with the TA-31 as much as possible  
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I found it no slower at engaging targets at close range than my Aimpoint once you get used to the BAC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No free lunch here, as in AIO multifunction devices, an AIO (all in one) scope is going to give up something to be able to do it all.  Your head has to be in roughly the right spot to use the BAC feature, and the reticle may not be as precise as, say, that of the TA01 series.  I find though the scope and rifle can usually outshoot me, so TA31 and TA11 are perfect for me.
With BAC there's no need for another red dot to reside on top of the scope, that solution itself is not without shortcomings, such as no cheekweld, added height..
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Reflex that worked awsome for CQB and it was dead nuts accurate at 100 yards.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top