Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 11:27:07 AM EST
Has anyone purchased Item #STK0901 collapsible butt stock (four position aluminum alloy tube), recoil spring, and buffer for $29.99 from TAPCO?

How does one take off the old stock on a pre-ban AR15 SP1? and put on the new collapsible stock? Do you need any unique tools?

Thanks up front!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:21:59 PM EST
Yep you will need the Telestock wrench (about $5 from Fulton Armory) for the castle nut - and some moly-disulfide grease.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:25:59 PM EST
Do you need any unique tools?
View Quote
If desperate, you can get it off with a punch in the dimple and a few hammer blows. The right way to do it is to use a special wrench, typically called a "tele-stock wrench." Bushmaster ([url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]) sells one. It is part #223-TELEWRENCH2, and sells for $5.95. They also sell a heavy duty version for $19.95. Yesterday, a friend received this stock from Tapco. The stock is made out of a cheap feeling plastic. The buffer tube is metal and feels a little more sturdy. The buttplate is also smaller than you would expect. Compared to the A2 stock, it is tiny. Of course, for less than 1/3 the price of Bushmaster's it's still a good buy.z
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:43:55 PM EST
You may be able to get away with using a Strap wrench to take off and put on the retaining ring for the telstock, but a Spanner Wrench is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:04:09 PM EST
I have an older Bushy 1-pos CAR stock. I bought it way back when 1-pos was pretty much all you could get. Fit and finish are top-of-the-line. Nevertheless, lately I've been coveting those multi-position stocks. The Tapco stock seemed like a *very* good deal. And, it was the same small size of the original CAR stock, which I like very much. So I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Alas, the price *was* too good to be true. It rattles like a maraca. The tube was so rough it was difficult to adjust. And the fastener on the locking rod wasn't pinned; it could easily spin right off and be lost. I sent it back right away for a refund. I would like a high quality 4-pos, but they are unbelievably pricey for some reason. Instead I bought an RRA 6-pos from Pete for $70. I don't need 6-pos, and it's a bit large for my tastes, but it has top-of-the-line fit and finish. I haven't shot it yet, but if I don't like it I might be able to trade someone with a higher quality 4-pos than the Tapco. BTW, the only hard part about doing the stock R&R is finding the tiny little takedown pin detent spring that you forgot to capture when you removed the stock, or that escaped when you were putting on the new one. [:)] Do it in a nice clean room with a hard floor [;)]
Top Top