Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
Looking at putting a IR filter on my surefire.

How well does it work? Any visible light bleed through?
Could I light up the shadows at about 60ft on my scout light?

Thanks -Bill
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You would be a thousand times better off purchasing an M1 dedicated IR light from Surefire. It's diminutive in size (single CR123 battery) and will fit in a 1" ring mount or 30mm throw lever with 1" insert. If you wish to further the lights capabilities for long gun use you can add something like SF's excellent XM tail cap with removable tail switch.

For handheld use it's very user friendly as is.  Light output is incredibly brighter and longer than with a filter covered white light bezel. Estimated range is between 50 to 75 yards and it will definetly light up any dark corners you may wish to observe.

Even better is given the price of the FM13 and FM23 IR filters from SF the M1 is usually comparable in price or, in the case of the FM23, likely much cheaper.

This little light is one of the best purchases I've ever made regarding both dollar value and perfomance capabilities.

ETA: Regarding light leakage on the filters. Yes I have experienced it on a couple of my FM13's but found that by testing before actually needing it I can press and twist fit to a tighter fit on the bezel and eliminate most all leakage of white light...This is a glaring example of why we should always test our equipment prior to needing it. It's little things like this that can make or break an encounter.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I will look into the dedicated IR light.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to carry only a single light the filters will provide IR light capability.  I have a surefire IR light but all of my white light surefires have IR filters.  You will need to use the incandescent head on your scout light, (LU60A) and FM63 filter.  It should work out to around 40-50 yards.  Filters will not work on LED lights.  I have never seen any visible light bleed through with my filters.  If you shop carefully you can get the IR filters fairly cheap, I picked up my IR filters on the adboard or on ebay for prices significantly less than what the dealers charge.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top