Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 6:13:04 PM EDT
I have an old alignment gauge "Part # 26255 .223 Barrel Guide Rod"  from CNC Warrior.

It will fit into most of my barrels.  it will not fit into one of two new FN barrels.  I'm not forcing it, but wiggling the upper will get the rod into everything else I've tried.

what are the chances that there is a problem?

what are the chances that this will be a better than average shooter?

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Very recent thread:
FN Barrel
ETA: you could also measure your rod. Here's a 22 cal. bore diagram:
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!!

Great link and great suggestion
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW I have the same issue with my FN barrel. .212 rod goes in fine 2.18 rod does not go in. The 2.18 rod goes into my non FN barrel but is very snug. I’ve got 1500 rounds on the FN with no issues and only checked it because of a newly installed comp. I plan on rolling the dice and firing it today. I’ll report back but I don’t anticipate any issues
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW I have the same issue with my FN barrel. .212 rod goes in fine 2.18 rod does not go in. The 2.18 rod goes into my non FN barrel but is very snug. I’ve got 1500 rounds on the FN with no issues and only checked it because of a newly installed comp. I plan on rolling the dice and firing it today. I’ll report back but I don’t anticipate any issues
View Quote

Any idea how accuracy is?

Much googling produced some additional threads regarding other HF barrels and an INTENTIONAL taper in diameter toward the muzzle (nothing with regard to ending diameter)...

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t gotten it outdoors yet for a true long shot,  but indoors at 75 ft, 3 round group the holes all touch
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember that I have or have access to several more FN barrels. A couple of 12.5" and another 16" via Noveske, and at least a couple more plain FN.  I'll check those and report back later today.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Much googling produced some additional threads regarding other HF barrels and an INTENTIONAL taper in diameter toward the muzzle (nothing with regard to ending diameter)...

View Quote

Maybe you could try your alignment rod installed from the chamber end of the barrel just to check bore diameter at that end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe you could try your alignment rod installed from the chamber end of the barrel just to check bore diameter at that end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think of that yesterday, however I didn't learn about the "intentional taper" practice until today.

Will do!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
It does seem the muzzle end is tighter than the chamber end  on mine
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
a.  Have you bore-scoped the barrel to see if there's a burr at the gas port?

b.  I wouldn't bet the farm on the quality of a $29 alignment gauge.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
a.  Have you bore-scoped the barrel to see if there's a burr at the gas port?

b.  I wouldn't bet the farm on the quality of a $29 alignment gauge.

View Quote

I mean this honestly- thank you, Molon, for all of your information, tests, knowledge and patience at ARFCOM over the years.

in this instance:

a. No access to a bore scope (please point me at one!), however in my instance, the rod ain't going in at all. will not pass. is not reaching gas port.
b. True.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
a. No access to a bore scope (please point me at one!), however in my instance, the rod ain't going in at all. will not pass. is not reaching gas port.
b. True.
View Quote

Even a cheap-ass Teslong scope would be adequate for checking for burrs at the gas port.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTQF24F?pd_rd_i=B07TTQF24F&pd_rd_w=sWtdx&pf_rd_p=3465d0d7-4e28-4692-b633-326c458deaa4&pd_rd_wg=0iXCZ&pf_rd_r=3QTMQ2MCGRQF6EV220NW&pd_rd_r=ef5161c7-28ac-4098-86d8-552c324943c0

You might also consider picking up a couple of inexpensive pin gauges (minus) 0.217", 0.218", 0.219" etc, just to get a rough idea of what the land-to-land diameter is at the muzzle.

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-Gage-Tolerance-0-2215-Diameter/dp/B0006JCJ18/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=vermont%2Bno%2Bgo%2Bpin%2Bgage&qid=1619127392&sr=8-7&th=1
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Molon

thanks, I'll read about those. ETA DAMN, no idea you could get a scope that cheap.

And the pin gauges seem like just the thing to have.

The tight FN-  
chamber side, the gauge fits no problem.

I tried several noveske FN HF, some noveske stainless Bartelin stainless, and another FN, each one fed the gauge.

measuring the Gauge with my cheap Frankford Arsenal Digital Caliper I most often got .2165 as the measurement (.2160 to .2175). I didn't average, just hit it a bunch.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
measuring the Gauge with my cheap Frankford Arsenal Digital Caliper I most often got .2165 as the measurement (.2160 to .2175). I didn't average, just hit it a bunch.
View Quote

Unfortunately, measuring a small diameter round bore with calipers will not give you an accurate reading.  Even the inexpensive Z class gages that I posted the link to will give you a more accurate reading.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Just fired off 300 rounds with no issues. New comp did shift the impact some.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
got some of the minus gauges in, and a couple more are coming today.  .216 fit fine, should have .217 and .218 today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top