Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 5:31:23 PM EDT
I am in the process of getting a 20" flattop AR with a YHM front sight gas block.  I am in need of a folding rear sight and have used the ARMS #40 before.

I plan on useing a 10X Super Sniper scope with an Armalite one-piece mount.  I have read that the mount sits a little low and sometimes it is dfficult to get a good cheek weld.  Could I kill two birds with one stone and just get an ARMS #38 Swan Sleeve and place the Armalite mount on that?  Do you think the rear of the scope will clear the folding sight when the sight is not deployed.  

I was thinking this could solve the problem of raising the scope mount a little for a proper cheek weld and getting me a flip-up rear sight.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only speak about the scope.  I've been very happy with mine.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO it will be way too high on a 3rdtk sleeve, the Armalite mount is just fine by itself.  Why not just get the Armalite mount first and if you think it's too low, then add some height.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
i have somewhat of a similar set up. super sniper, badger medium high rings and arms 38sex. it was perfect but the only problem was that the rear of the scope would alost touch tha rear site and i had to use the factory lens covers no flip ups would fit. i had settled for the medium high rings for two reasons 1. that was the highest anyone had in stock at the time and 2. i was gonna use the arms underneath which would allow me to mount it foward if i needed.  

i have tried to mount the rings on top of yhm spacers but that looks tacky and is too high for my cheek weld.

oh... i love the super sniper
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IMO it will be way too high.

Without ever trying it, that was my first reaction.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the Armalite one piece mount, sitting directly on the flattop as designed, is the perfect height.  I sure would not want mine any higher.... I have trouble getting a good cheekweld when a scope is too high... usually not when they are low.

This is NOT too low for me:

I have a SS on my .308 bolt gun, like it just fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two Super Sniper scopes, one mounted on the Armalite 1-piece and the other mounted on a ASA 1-piece.  I like the ASA mount better... its a little bit higher than the Armalite mount.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
In my experiences, the ArmaLite mount is a little too low for my tastes, so I mounted mine on a GG&G FIRE GS-1 rail, which brought it to a more comfortable height and also allowed me to move the scope forward to get some more eye relief. I'm really happy with this setup, although it seems to be an issue of personal taste and you'll probably have to try one to see if it works for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Would one of you with the Armalite and the ASA mount please measure it from the top of the flattop to the bottom of the scope?  I want to get the same setup but am having trouble with the right mount.  I have measured with a buddy's Super Sniper scope and rifle and I have decided that I want to have 1" minimum to 1 1/8" maximum from the top of the flattop to the bottom of the scope main tube and I'm not sure if either the ASA or the Armalite will give me the right height.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The top of the flat-top to the bottom of the scope tube is .67" on the armalite 30mm mount.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks a lot!!  I guess I'm going to have to find a spacer if I am to use that mount.  

Anyone else have any suggestions for a good mounting system that will give me about 1 - 1 1/8 inches of clearance?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been thinking about adding a Swan Sleeve to my M15A4 so I can mount a "regular" scope.  The Burris 4-12x32 R/A I've got on there now just has too long an eye-relief.

I guess I'd need to move it forward an inch or two.  Which sleeve is that?  Standard?  Extended?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top