Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 5:31:04 PM EDT
As the title says. Looking to get the most for my money. My rifle is squared away minus a good light and I need some pointers for what direction I should be looking. The Surefire mini scout looks nice but if I can get something better I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
http://haleystrategic.com/store/inforce_wml_hsp.php

Haley Strategic/Inforce WML

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire X300U mounted at 12:00 infront of front sight.

- Weight with light, batteries and mount:  4.0 oz
- 500 Lumens with plenty of spill and throw; balanced beam
- Ambi activation (momentary on by depressing paddle, static on my flipping paddles)
- Mounted at 12:00, light is out of way and wont get hung up on barriers.  Also is protected by barrel and FSB from getting banged up.
- You can mount this light to a pistol rail as well for double duty between long gun / handgun

Retails for less than $210.  Purchased mine from Grabagun.com.  Brightflashlights.com is good as well.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
500 lumen scout
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#4]
X300U is the way to go.

Add a LaRue mount and XT07 switch if you want.

Edit to correct typo. Having numb fingers and a left arm in a full splint sucks for typing.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
X300U is the way to go.
Add a LaRue mount and XT07 switch us you want.
View Quote

That looks like a nice little set up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
X300U is the way to go.
Add a LaRue mount and XT07 switch if you want.
View Quote

Except for the LaRue mount, I have the same set-up.  My X300U and XT107 are mounted on a DD M4 carbine.  Was planning on employing a Gear Sector 45 degree mount, but it interfered with the flip-up front sight.  Instead, I bought use a $15 45 degree mount that easily cleared the sight, but does not look quite so slick.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Having a shitload of many different tactical lights and mounts for a variety of apps, my latest and greatest light and mount is the Hailey Tactical set up; a Key-Mod mount and the Insight WML for my OBR. It basically looks just like the Jack Carbine rifle setup at Bravo's website; sorry, not taking a pic tonight.

I like the lessened 'glare' of the Insight system. It is a lower powered system than some of my mega-watt Surefire lights AND it is a light, strong and well priced kit..
Good communication (all online) and I would choose to not support CO for anything at all...it's sort of still close enough to a USA mfgr'd product.

I personally respect T.H.'s massive commitment to speaking up positively for 2'nd Amendmant rights, firearm and gun safety, personal awareness and preparedness...this guy has paid his dues and has freely shared vast amounts of his  knowledge with many people, as have all the vendors I enjoy purchasing from on this forum.

You won't be disappointed with the design rationale behind this specific product for many 'lighting' applications, imo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
An LED Surefire nitrolon in an Elzetta mount is a cheap ($100), effective (no barrel shadows, ambi activation, out of the way) solution for a carbine light. The only caveat is that your carbine needs to have a standard A2 front sight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I just posted this in another thread. But, I'm buying from these guys. Like I said in the other thread, Their products look rock solid, and they have a great warranty. Plus, they are made 30 or so miles up the road from me in Lexington, KY.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Surefire P2X Fury Tactical is $110

Add any mount and it should be under $200.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As the title says. Looking to get the most for my money. My rifle is squared away minus a good light and I need some pointers for what direction I should be looking. The Surefire mini scout looks nice but if I can get something better I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
View Quote

Sub $400? M600U.

500 lumens out of a TIR lens with the option to switch from pressure switch to forward clicky cap, and an integrated mount.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I've looked at everything you guys have mentioned and I just can't make up my damned mind. They all seem to be solid performers. This may be a time that I choose by how they look with weight being a concern as well .
Also I really like the look of offset mounts. I understand 12 o'clock being ideal for shadow elimination but it is much different from offset that's above the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the X300u but you should be warned that several veteran forum members have cautioned against using it on your rifle. The battery cap hinge is plastic and could break a lot easier than say a M600, M300, etc. if the weapon was dropped. I'm not bashing the light (in fact I have two and I love them) but I do see why these objections were raised.

I'll add some pics describing what I am talking about as soon as I dig them up.

I think something like the top light would be much more robust.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really like the X300u but you should be warned that several veteran forum members have cautioned against using it on your rifle. The battery cap hinge is plastic and could break a lot easier than say a M600, M300, etc. if the weapon was dropped. I'm not bashing the light (in fact I have two and I love them) but I do see why these objections were raised.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IUs4EHCPxFA/Uctj1Ttn3vI/AAAAAAAAtns/GYEzGutrBEo/w1313-h985-no/IMG_20130626_175716.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQqewilv2uY/Uctjzg1MH1I/AAAAAAAAtmY/9-cLA5qyYcQ/w1313-h985-no/IMG_20130626_175701.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cHSp1YQxN54/UctkPI0ROnI/AAAAAAAAtm4/PmUH4MIofgs/w1313-h985-no/IMG_20130626_175829.jpg

View Quote

Not doubting you but can you link to some instances of this breaking?

I've not seen this as a commonly cited concern and I've been here a while.  Have a few broken?  possibly.  

Regardless, Its protected from drops when used with fixed sight.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've not seen this as a commonly cited concern and I've been here a while.  Have a few broken?  possibly.  

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/8431/28dr.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IUs4EHCPxFA/Uctj1Ttn3vI/AAAAAAAAtns/GYEzGutrBEo/w1313-h985-no/IMG_20130626_175716.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQqewilv2uY/Uctjzg1MH1I/AAAAAAAAtmY/9-cLA5qyYcQ/w1313-h985-no/IMG_20130626_175701.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cHSp1YQxN54/UctkPI0ROnI/AAAAAAAAtm4/PmUH4MIofgs/w1313-h985-no/IMG_20130626_175829.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/8431/28dr.jpg
Look near the end of the page:

I totally see what Pat is saying. Take a X300/X300u apart and look at how it is held together. You've got a small metal clip that holds in a very small tab and then a plastic hinge cupping a thin metal rod. Also, your attachment to the rail is two plastic rails held in place by 6 very small screws. I have snapped pieces off a x300u mount while trying to get it affixed to a Noveske NSR so I can speak for the brittleness of the plastic. For 99% of people it is fine as most people's guns live their lives out in safes and only get taken to the range and maybe a course or two. How many people would drop their AR on to their garage floor and not even wince? Those are the people who would be easier to convince that the X300/x300u probably could serve you better on something other than your AR.

Just compare the mounting solutions for the X300/X300U compared to their Scout and Millenium lineup and you can definitely tell that the X class lights are not designed to take serious punishment.

That said, I still take one of my X300U's and mount it in front of one of my 14.5" rifles once in a while, just so I can look at it. It is a perfect place for that light and the controls are excellent as well.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys have brought up some nice gear but I'm not there yet. So many options. Let's try this. If money were no option what would be your setup of choice? Would it be the same lights you guys are already suggesting?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You guys have brought up some nice gear but I'm not there yet. So many options. Let's try this. If money were no option what would be your setup of choice? Would it be the same lights you guys are already suggesting?
View Quote

$400 max budget is a lot of dough for a light and mount. If money was no object I would still get the M600U with an SR07 switch in a thorntail offset mount.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

$400 max budget is a lot of dough for a light and mount. If money was no object I would still get the M600U with an SR07 switch in a thorntail offset mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking thats the winner for me. It's everything I wanted out of a light, the right mount and I like the options on the switch. I run tango down rail covers. Will the  SR07 fit into their recessed mount?

Never mind, it doesnt look like it will fit. Is there a dual operation switch that will fit?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have that exact same setup minus the "u" on one of my rifles. It is as close to perfect as I have been able to get. Lights are one of those things that you can get ridiculous deals on if you keep an eye on EE. I got a M600 (FDE) for $160, the SR07 for around $40 and the Thorntail for $35. $235 is not bad for all top-end parts.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I'd still pick the X300U.

You won't find a lighter, brighter, more streamlined way (12:00) to mount a light to an AR15.  If that's not enough it's ambidextrous and you can use it on your pistol too.

Scout series is awesome as well.  I was on the fence but the fact that I could mount it to my pistols and 12:00 on my AR sealed the deal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#22]
X300 Ultra. $200.00

Mounts to picitinny rail system. 500 lumens with great spill.

I think there is an optional pressure switch, but the controls on the X300U are easy enough to use depending on where you mount it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
X300 Ultra. $200.00

Mounts to picitinny rail system. 500 lumens with great spill.

I think there is an optional pressure switch, but the controls on the X300U are easy enough to use depending on where you mount it.
View Quote

I absoulutely want a pressure switch. With my rig and arm length I think its gonna be nessicary.

I think I want M620U in a nice offset mount.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top