Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 8:01:46 PM EDT
When I purchased my post-ban 20 inch A2 rifle the guy threw in another upper.  Looking at the upper just sitting in my safe got me thinking...

How many uppers do you have vs how many lowers?

-Dennis  
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
he just "threw in" another complete upper?....
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, threw it in for $100-M4 profile,no b/bc/ch and he milled off the front sight.

-Dennis
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Even up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh! I have to get in on this before the heavies.
My understanding is that you always need to be striving for an extra upper, that will motivate you to get a lower to match. But then the next creation requires another upper, which will soon require a lower to match (so it won't get lonely).
The more you have only demonstrates your fuller understanding.
Makes complete sense to me, I may even convince my wife before I die...
TomB
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Five complete, and One extra upper.
As of now, I swap the M 4gery out for the Commander, but I am looking to get a Pre Ban SP-1 lower for it right now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
One extra upper per lower gives allot of benifit. It can turn one gun into a completely different gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two, though the Cavalry Arms sale (complete lower for $250 I think it was) last fall really tempted me to get a second lower.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Zero.

The advantage of an AR is that you can have multiple uppers & swap them out easily. It's an advantage most of us squander, as the spare upper would nag us with its lack of completion into buying it a mate.

I suppose some exceptions include a dedicated .22 upper or a big bore like a Tromix.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember the ARF motto:

"If some is good, more is bigger."
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, I tried the more uppers on a couple lowers thing. No can do. Just cant't stand seeing an upper sitting there all by itself, lonely and desperate for a mate to make it complete. It is a 1 to 1 ratio at the Thin house.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#12]
1/2 upper per lower...

Out here in IL we almost had some legislation pass a few months ago that would have banned new AR-15's in the state (IL SB1195, for anyone who cares).  They had to amend the bill w/a grandfather clause to even get it to the second reading, so I ran out and bought a spare lower the night before "just in case."

Besides, I figure one with a collapsible and one with a solid stock gives me a lot of setup options. Hopefully I will get another upper when the cash flow is good again!

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
KKF now has the upper to replace the front sight and the y-comp with his A3 TakBrake.  Once I get it back I will have to start saving for the new lower.  I am sure the urge for completion will get worse when it is returned.  Since it is a flat top upper BUIS and optics will be included in the nagging.

HELP!  I think I have black rifle fever!!!

-Dennis

Quoted:
Zero.

The advantage of an AR is that you can have multiple uppers & swap them out easily. It's an advantage most of us squander, as the spare upper would nag us with its lack of completion into buying it a mate.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
It's like upgrading computers.   You always have to put that old motherboard you just swapped out to some use, so you scrounge up a case and p/s for it, and drives, and cards, and before long, you've resurrected the computer you thought needed upgrading.

We all suffer from the dual obsessive-compulsive behaviors  of "a nut for every bolt" and "it'd be nice to have a few extra nuts handy."  (No sexual reference intended...but it is sort of funny.)

Obviously, the two behaviors are not compatible. You end up in accumulation mode, but when it comes to guns, I have no problem with that.  

CJ
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Run AWAY, spare uppers just lead to buiding more rifles.  It's like they are alive and multiply like rabbits.

Tj
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
When you buy that lower, you might as well buy two of them. You know you're going to need it someday anyway, right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Right now, I've got about 4 lowers and 7 uppers, so thats almost 2 uppers per lower.  OTOH, I'm in the process of doing a trade for about another 6 lowers, so now I'm going to have to get more uppers.

And I'm saving up to eventually buy a full case of lowers, which will require me to buy more uppers.

Repeat as necessary.

(See the pattern here?)
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#18]
We all speak from personal experience. We've all tried the multiple uppers idea, but then you'll want to use a different stock with it, and/or a different grip. So you end up disassembling the lower to change, and then to change back. And then a buddy will want to go try shooting with you, so you'll need another whole rig for him. And when he finds out how fun it is,more of your buddies will want to come play. And then ......
Give up. Submit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I have 3 complete lowers, all in different configurations:

RRA lower w/A2 buttstock
RRA lower w/CAR buttstock in fully opened position (pinned)
RRA lower w/M4 LE buttstock in fully closed position (pinned)

The 3 lowers allow me to use any combination/look I want using the myriad of uppers I have, currently:

RRA 16" M4 flat-top upper (.223/5.56)
DPMS 16" A2 upper (.223/5.56)
DPMS 20" A2 upper 7.62x39
DPMS 16" M4 flat-top upper .22LR
DPMS 16" M4 upper w/MiCulek MB (.223/5.56)

I need to pick up a 20" flat top (.223/5.56) upper now, then I can rest.  [:P]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd say normally you'd have 1 upper to 1 lower. The only exception to this that I can think of would be buying an upper in a different caliber for hunting or target shooting.   I'm looking into a .300 Whisper(Fireball) to hunt deer with because I need at least a .24 cal. ctg. to be legal here in TN.   If I were still in AZ. I'd just get some Federal 64gr. loads and be done with it.  From what I've read they work real good on deer size game.  
 Getting back to the question, you should try to have a complete firearm if you can, no spare uppers or lowers. Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 4 uppers and 4 lowers. I just can`t convince myself to buy just an aupper.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#22]
With stripped lowers going for $100-$125, it's hard not to by one for an extra upper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I finally have an equal amount of uppers and lowers. My problem is that if I have extra parts sitting around, I can't concentrate on anything else and I HAVE to build it into something. Regardless of whether it's just a barrel or a stock set or whatever, It's like a seed for a rifle that needs to be completed..
View Quote

I concur.  Starting to put that "For Sale" list together to take care of that nagging issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 5 complete AR's, 1 extra stripped lower, 4 extra stripped uppers.Of course with all the other extras I have, some will probably turn into completed guns.Thats the danger of having too many spares.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
So far I have 3 complete AR plus 3 'lonely' lowers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I must be the exception here.With my SP1 carbine I only have one upper.I do have all the parts to build a 9mm upper minus the barrel.I plan on getting the barrel for it and having 2 uppers for the SP1.My M16 is a complete different story.Currently I have 14 uppers for it.
16" .22 long rifle
.22 SD
10.5" 9mm
9mm DOE
9mm SD
10" DEV Group
11.5" XM177E2
14.5" M4
16" CAR 15
18" SPR
20" M16
20" M16A4
20" LMG
16" 300 Whisper
I did get tired of switching stocks so I have bought a second M16 but I havent got it yet.I plan on buying 3 more uppers.A 9mm DEA upper,a .499 LW and a Shrike.I also have all the parts minus a barrel to build another upper.I was thinking either 17 Rem. or 20 Tactical.I am also thinking of getting a preban lower so I can put the SPR or 300 Whisper upper on it and take out of state when I cant take the M16s.Thats what I like about the AR/M16 the most.SJR556.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I have three uppers for one lower.  That is more a result of only having one pre-ban lower(all uppers are pre-ban configured).  Ideally they would all be complete rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Zero.

It's an advantage most of us squander, as the spare upper would nag us with its lack of completion into buying it a mate.
View Quote

Nope, not me, nosiree bob, I'd NEVER be tempted to buy an upper or lower to complete a rife; nope, not gonna happen, I can state for the record, that this wouldn't ever be a problem for me, since I have self control and....uh...ummm...okay who am I kidding?  An extra upper or lower is why I have 4 damn ARs lol.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top