Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen this marking on late A1 triangle HGs? I don't recall seeing this, wondering if there's any info on these. Looks like a curvy N. Std R marked right sides, not sure if there are lefts marked this way as well, I only have these two rights. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll venture to say that that's a mold mark, as in a flaw in the mold.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, they are nearly identical, just wondering if there's any significance or if it's just a random mark.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll venture to say that that's a mold mark, as in a flaw in the mold.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Adding a number or any other ID mark by hand (ie scratching the mould) is a cammon practice..
Used to work in The injection moulding industry for a while..

Helps ID parts Made one particular mould among many identical ones

Or maybe The mould has been dropped on the ground shit happens douring maintenance
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen similar if not the same mark. Ill look when I get home. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes I have seen that mold mark a few times.  I have no idea the significance of it, but have seen it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, just a mold mark, really has no importance other than to the maker of the molded product.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand, often a manufacturer that sees a mold declining will mark that mold so that when reject parts start showing up, they will know which ACTUAL mold was the culprit. Your hanguards could have been from a mold that was nearing the end of its life and were thus marked.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I understand, often a manufacturer that sees a mold declining will mark that mold so that when reject parts start showing up, they will know which ACTUAL mold was the culprit. Your hanguards could have been from a mold that was nearing the end of its life and were thus marked.
View Quote

I agree, I work in the injection industry. The molds are made with cavity identification numbers so the parts can be rejected/quarantined by cavity if needed. Mold can also be scribe mark identified when necessary.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top