Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen this marking on late A1 triangle HGs? I don't recall seeing this, wondering if there's any info on these. Looks like a curvy N. Std R marked right sides, not sure if there are lefts marked this way as well, I only have these two rights. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll venture to say that that's a mold mark, as in a flaw in the mold.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, they are nearly identical, just wondering if there's any significance or if it's just a random mark.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll venture to say that that's a mold mark, as in a flaw in the mold.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Adding a number or any other ID mark by hand (ie scratching the mould) is a cammon practice..
Used to work in The injection moulding industry for a while..

Helps ID parts Made one particular mould among many identical ones

Or maybe The mould has been dropped on the ground shit happens douring maintenance
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen similar if not the same mark. Ill look when I get home. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes I have seen that mold mark a few times.  I have no idea the significance of it, but have seen it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, just a mold mark, really has no importance other than to the maker of the molded product.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand, often a manufacturer that sees a mold declining will mark that mold so that when reject parts start showing up, they will know which ACTUAL mold was the culprit. Your hanguards could have been from a mold that was nearing the end of its life and were thus marked.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I understand, often a manufacturer that sees a mold declining will mark that mold so that when reject parts start showing up, they will know which ACTUAL mold was the culprit. Your hanguards could have been from a mold that was nearing the end of its life and were thus marked.
View Quote

I agree, I work in the injection industry. The molds are made with cavity identification numbers so the parts can be rejected/quarantined by cavity if needed. Mold can also be scribe mark identified when necessary.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top