Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 12:57:22 AM EDT
Ok, so. Would it, or would it not be legal to buy an adjustable CAR stock and pin it in one of the retracted positions, I was chatting with a guy at the last gunshow and it seems this would be legal as long as it cannot telescope... I know its probably been asked alot before, but what can I say I'm impatient. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Short answer no.  Long answer yes, but.

The ATF says no but then again who would find out before next year?  Youd have to do something pretty bad to catch that much scrutiny.

THere are ways to do it but the stock must not be convertabel back to collapsing form.  It essentially must be impossible to turn back into a collapsing stock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Short answer no.  Long answer yes, but.

The ATF says no but then again who would find out before next year?  Youd have to do something pretty bad to catch that much scrutiny.

THere are ways to do it but the stock must not be convertabel back to collapsing form.  It essentially must be impossible to turn back into a collapsing stock.
View Quote

So you're saying I should just go for it as long as its not in a collapsable state...?

Also if thats the case I could just weld one into position... I highly doubt if it were ever questioned by the authorities that it would matter that it appeared it could be returned to collapsable if it didn't in fact move...

I'm just looking for a differant possibility as I like the looks of the CAR stock and shooting with the stubby plays hell on my shnoz, especially in the cold.... Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Theres a reply somewhere in here with a letter from the atf stating that as long as its in a fixed position it can be shortened if wanted. Do a search.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Any specifics I should search for? I'm not very good at finding things on this site...???
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
How about I just post the letters again? [:D]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6460[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6461[/img]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
AHA! Much thanks to you! Now for my last question, would a CAR stock in the fully retracted position be longer, shorter, or the same length as my Bushmaster stubby? :) Thanks guys!

Edited to ask if I would use the same buffer assembly?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the CAR stock would be .25" shorter then the stubby stock from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Thus making it 31" overall, the legal limit is 30" correct? I remember having to measure the Mossberg to make sure....
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thus making it 31" overall, the legal limit is 30" correct? I remember having to measure the Mossberg to make sure....
View Quote

The barrel has to be at least 16" and an overall length 26" or longer..

USC 18 Sec. 921:

(5) The term ''shotgun'' means a weapon designed or redesigned,

made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and

designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an

explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball

shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(6) The term ''short-barreled shotgun'' means a shotgun having

one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any

weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or

otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of

less than twenty-six inches.

(7) The term ''rifle'' means a weapon designed or redesigned,

made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and

designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an

explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore

for each single pull of the trigger.

(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or

more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made

from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if

such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than

twenty-six inches.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If you weld it in place its totally legal.

The question is do you want to ruin it like that when it may be legal in 11 or so months?  
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you weld it in place its totally legal.

The question is do you want to ruin it like that when it may be legal in 11 or so months?  
View Quote

nahhhhhhh, if thats the case I'll just spend 45 mins with the old dremel ;-) and if that doesn't work whats 60.00 anyway?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top