Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 4:23:18 PM EDT
For those with 9mm ARs, have you had good results using steel case Russian ammo in it? I know that the 7.62x39 ARs have problems igniting the primers used in steel case ammo...does the same issue apply to 9mm?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot several k 9mm Wolf through 2 different 9mm AR's, and my friend did the same thing through his 9mm AR SMG.  No problem whatsoever, though in the early years with the lacquer coated ammunition there would be 1 or 2 misfires out of a case.  Seems like the newer stuff is better.

Even the old Egyptian 9mm which was imported many years ago would shoot well in my AR, even though its performance was spotty in several pistols.  My Gov't model .38 Super, re-barreled to 9mm would set it off reliably, except for that occasional pesky misfire.

I don't think the 9mm AR will have any problems setting off hard primer ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have shot several k 9mm Wolf through 2 different 9mm AR's, and my friend did the same thing through his 9mm AR SMG.  No problem whatsoever, though in the early years with the lacquer coated ammunition there would be 1 or 2 misfires out of a case.  Seems like the newer stuff is better.

Even the old Egyptian 9mm which was imported many years ago would shoot well in my AR, even though its performance was spotty in several pistols.  My Gov't model .38 Super, re-barreled to 9mm would set it off reliably, except for that occasional pesky misfire.

I don't think the 9mm AR will have any problems setting off hard primer ammunition.

I shot probably 10K of that corrosive as hell Egyptian subgun ammo. It was CHEAP, I think we were buying it at the time for $89 a case. We were buying it from that goofy place in Illinois that always had the big SGN ads with the cartoons in them...can't think of the name right now....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot probably 10K of that corrosive as hell Egyptian subgun ammo. It was CHEAP, I think we were buying it at the time for $89 a case. We were buying it from that goofy place in Illinois that always had the big SGN ads with the cartoons in them...can't think of the name right now....

Paragon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Paragon.

Yup, that was them. As I recall we were buying 1080 round cases of that ammo for $89. Came in 36 round boxes, it was bright and shiny, brass cased, rather hot and corrosive as all hell, primers were hard but it all fired. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had good results with silver bear 145gr.  Feeds reliably and is very quiet suppressed.  Mixed results with brown bear 115gr.  It works well out of metalform mags but has given me occasional feeding problems from CP mags.  The bullet noses are noticeably rounder and shorter on that load, which I am sure is the primary cause of the problem. Other than that glitch it has worked fine too. Extraction and ejection appear fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Walmart Tulammo runs fine in a RRA sbr.  Any ammo is dirty as hell in that type blowback, There's a colt 9mm style mag LULA if you are worried about your mag feedlips.  Shoots powerful enough for reliable cycling, feels equal to or more powerful than federal, rem, or winchester target loads.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top