Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:27:22 PM EDT
I have started collecting the parts for my first build. I am starting with an Aero Precision lower, Mil Spec magpul CTR, Bushy lpk. My plan is to build a rifle that my twins will be able to grow into. It will be used mostly for paper punching and ground squirrels. Later down the line it will be used for thier first deer.

My questions:

The stock is Mil Spec. Am I gtg with that or am I limiting my buffer options?
I want to run a buffer that will smooth things out for my very petite daughter. Should I get a heavy ss buffer or hydralic?
How about buffer springs? Is there one suited to this type of build?
Which upper do you guys like for younger shooters?

Thanks,

Spey Rod
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a wolf heavy spring with a heavy buffer...mil spec shoul be g2g.

Uppers are about the same...some brands are better than others...what length barrel are you planning on?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have started collecting the parts for my first build. I am starting with an Aero Precision lower, Mil Spec magpul CTR, Bushy lpk. My plan is to build a rifle that my twins will be able to grow into. It will be used mostly for paper punching and ground squirrels. Later down the line it will be used for thier first deer.

My questions:

The stock is Mil Spec. Am I gtg with that or am I limiting my buffer options?GTG.  milspec vs. commercial receiver extensions affect your choice of different stocks.  Milspec is the correct choice.
I want to run a buffer that will smooth things out for my very petite daughter. Should I get a heavy ss buffer or hydralic?for a carbine gas system I'd use an H2 or H3 buffer.  for a midlength gas system I'd use an H buffer.
How about buffer springs? Is there one suited to this type of build?I've never had issue with a standard buffer spring.
Which upper do you guys like for younger shooters?Depends on what your intended shooting is.  I'd pick something with a lightweight or Govt profile barrel to keep weight down.

Thanks,

Spey Rod

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am guessing I will end up with an 18" upper of some sort. My guess is that will be the best compromise for a fun gun/squirrel getter. I will need to keep it light for my daughter. We may end up with two uppers a 16" and an 18".

I have not even thought about building an upper. Is it worth it for 1 or 2? Are there tools needed that are expensive?

Thanks for the posts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top