Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2007 11:16:41 AM EDT
i wasn't sure if i had read something about this before or just imagined it up all by myself, but....

has anyone stumbled onto any kind of spray on plastic/rubber material that you could apply to the buttstock to help with grip against your shoulder?  i'm thinking something like a spray-on truck bedliner with a more rubbery texture.
i generally shoot with some kind of chest rig on for 3gun and training, and sometimes have trouble keeping the stock from sliding off my shoulder.  i'm not impressed with any of the standard buttpads i've tried (even the nicer ones like VLTOR).

any DIY'ers who've done this?

thanks in advance,
Don
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about a spray but you can get a dip that can also be applied by brush.
Check at an auto parts store for it. I got mine at Napa it's called plasti-dip.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I did the same with the Black platic dip. On a Ak side folder. Works great. Mix as intesructed. Come's in several colors. If memory serves me right they called it Dunk it. For wrench handles. I did 50/50 mix with paint thinner. It came out matt black. Good luck. As stated aboue I got mine at a auto parts store. I would remove the but plate be fore doing. Also good for sling swivls. Makes them less noisey.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the quick responses!
hmm....are the auto parts stores open on New Years Day?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look for Plasti Dip (pdf).  It comes in spray or dip.  I used the dip to coat sling swivels.  I never tried it on a buttstock.  I had plans to try it, but never got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
i just ran to Home Depot and picked up the spray version.  i'm testing it on an old M4 stock first.....
i think the dip would be better for my application, because the spray seems to leave a very thin coat.  it will take multiple applications to build up a noticeable layer.  it isn't even dry yet though so i'll wait and see how it feels when its dry.

Shawn, maybe i can borrow your dip and experiment?  
i think the spray would definitely be the ticket for small hardware or vert grips, flashlight bodies, etc....
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to get it from a co-worker that borrowed it for a project.  Let me know and I'll get it to you.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know about a spray but you can get a dip that can also be applied by brush.
Check at an auto parts store for it. I got mine at Napa it's called plasti-dip.

It comes in an aresol to and neither holds up on a butstock very well. I refinished a shotgun stock in it a few years ago and it wore off very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the thread about dipping the M4 stock in plastidip.

It works well, but getting it on even is tough.

The spray-on plastidip should be easier to apply.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupli-color makes a removable spray-on bra but I don't know if the texture will work or how long it will last
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top