Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:29:24 AM EDT
I wanted to try to exempt Colt Haters, but that never works anyway.  First Amendment and all?   I'm just wondering, in the world of AR-15 discussions, how come the Company, Specialized Armament never comes up?  Could as many as possible enlighten me?
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I wanted to try to exempt Colt Haters, but that never works anyway.  First Amendment and all?   I'm just wondering, in the world of AR-15 discussions, how come the Company, Specialized Armament never comes up?  Could as many as possible enlighten me?

They have the goods, but they're just so damn expensive that they're not an alternative in many cases.
Not much more to say.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
SAW is a very fine company. Ken Elmore (the owner) is very well versed in the Colt M16 and taught the factory armorer course up until a couple years ago.

Many years ago, the folks at SAW used to contribute here on arfcom. Then as all thing go, internet tuffguys began to crap on their postings. SAW went away from this site and focused on serving the needs of law enforcement and military sales/service. A loss to the site and maybe there is are hurt feelings remaining....I don't know.

SAW is the best place to go for your Colt needs. They offer factory stuff and even special order stuff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have purchased a lot of parts from SAW. If I can't get the part from Brownells, I go directly to SAW.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have purchased a lot of parts from SAW. If I can't get the part from Brownells, I go directly to SAW.

Same here. In the past couple months I've received various Colt items; however I did pay a premium for a Colt carrier with gas key, etc.  

Recently when ordering some taller Colt front sight posts, they forgot one in my order. Called them up, and they were very helpful and sent another right out.

Great service, and they have all the Colt parts you could want. But, they are pricey.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys.  I can live with pricy, as long as they really deliver, which it sounds like they do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
That's where a lot of M16 owners go to buy stuff.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
They get name dropped every time someone wants a colt part or upper

They are very specialized in what they offer, no pun intended
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
most people on this site are primarily focused on the cheapest possible parts... the phrase "just as good as" is repeated ad nauseum...

several years ago when I first joined the site, I had asked about SAW when I bought some spare Colt parts for my MT6400C, and the response was "overpriced, just buy >>brand x<<"...

Ken and his staff have always been friendly to me the few times i've ordered, processing and shipping were reasonable as well.

they did a few special colt runs like the LE6920/21HB way before the M4A1 SOCOM barrel was standard issue, they also designed high reliability magazine rebuild kits, and extractor upgrades long before these items were the norm...

with Colt now selling parts directly to consumers (ie: bolt carriers, uppers, etc), SAW has probably seen a decrease in their sales.

IIRC, they even partnered with MARS arms a few years ago to do work on factory colt 1911s
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
most people on this site are primarily focused on the cheapest possible parts... the phrase "just as good as" is repeated ad nauseum...

I wouldn't say "most people on this site", but definitely some.
With other high quality manufacturers on board now, there are more options and often the pricing is much easier on the wallet.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
My 6450 will be SBR'd by SAW...as soon as I get my stamp - going on 6 months now .

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The integrity and knowledge base is palpable when speaking with Ken regarding the Colt AR. The genuine Colt's parts, both current & discontinued, come at a premium -this is true. However, supporting a company that wholly supports your chosen weapon system seems only appropriate. What one saves by purchasing elsewhere does not equal the loss of the experience. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's where a lot of M16 owners go to buy stuff.  

Yup they do
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Over the years I have been through several armorer courses taught by Ken, had work done on my Colts, made many purchases and asked for adivice from SAW. I have never had a bad experience with them. Ken is outspoken but knows his stuff. From my experiences he is BRUTALLY honest which I think can rub people the wrong way but it is a first class business.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
In times when theres draws on parts supplies anytime ive ordered anything like Bolts or carriers from them theyve had it when others dont..youll pay for the Colt parts but Kens got em when you want them and thats worth the extra cost.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I just bought a colt B buffer from them.. Only place that has it listed, as well as the A and X buffers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want Colt parts for your Colt rifles this is the place to shop.  The only complaint I have is when I order online sometimes orders go through and some do not.  I don't get a email confirmation advising my order will be processed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Ken Elmore has undoubtedly forgotten more about Colt rifles than I'll ever know. His pool of knowledge is deep and wide. His parts can be spendy, but you know what you are getting.

Civilian enthusiasts like me aren't really his target market, but I consider myself fortunate to have him as a resource.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ken Elmore has undoubtedly forgotten more about Colt rifles than I'll ever know. His pool of knowledge is deep and wide. His parts can be spendy, but you know what you are getting.

Affirm!

He's a great instructor, been through two of his classes as Colt and one as SAW Armorer. Ken is a great guy also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

SAW is a very fine company. Ken Elmore (the owner) is very well versed in the Colt M16 and taught the factory armorer course up until a couple years ago.

Many years ago, the folks at SAW used to contribute here on arfcom. Then as all thing go, internet tuffguys began to crap on their postings. SAW went away from this site and focused on serving the needs of law enforcement and military sales/service. A loss to the site and maybe there is are hurt feelings remaining....I don't know.

SAW is the best place to go for your Colt needs. They offer factory stuff and even special order stuff.

If the government buys from SAW, then no wonder this country is in debt up to its eyeballs.

I suppose I understand having pride in ones products, but they have more hubris than Achilles dragging Hectors body around Troy.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wanted to try to exempt Colt Haters, but that never works anyway.

Colt haters?  On this site?

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#22]
SAW is basically your retail portal to all things Colt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Ken is a good guy.  His parts are in my SP1 (windage knob, front sight post, and spare firing pin).  He, like me, is not a fan of FN made M-16A2's, and we would relive our common feelings every other year or so at the Crossroads gun shows at the AZ Fairgrounds, when he was a regular years ago.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#24]
SAW is a great company, with all the Colt goodies. I've had very satisfactory dealings with them. However, they are not cheap. If you're looking for discounts and blem sales, you're out of luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I will throw a +1 SAW's direction as well. He is very approachable (more than I expected) and helped steer me in the right direction when looking for a teardrop forward assist assembly for my stripped Colt M4 upper. He made sure I got all the parts I needed and nothing I didn't. I will be going back soon for a 4-position RE and probably a high-wear parts kit.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the government buys from SAW, then no wonder this country is in debt up to its eyeballs.

I suppose I understand having pride in ones products, but they have more hubris than Achilles dragging Hectors body around Troy.

You should probably avoid Knight's as well, with their pride levels exceeding your limits.

I'll continue to enjoy awesome and expensive products.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top