Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:25:15 PM EDT
I have seen guys shooting open class high power using AR's that use a bolt instead of being semi-auto.  I was wondering, how is this done?

Is the actual bolt modified to accept the handle?

I am assuming the gas system is disabled in these rifles, am I correct?

Is there a book out there that explains this modification?

I am just curious how this is done.

Thanks.
hail2.gif
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it a side charging upper? Both [url=tp-commerce.techpro.com/pantherarms/shopexd.asp?id=478]DPMS[/url] and ASA sell side charging uppers and rifles.

-ed,FWIW I just noticed that your in AZ, and so is American Spirit Arms.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Most spaceguns use a butstock with adjustable cheekpiece that interferes with the standard charging handle.  These guns usually use a modified upper and bolt carrier to put a charging handle on the right side, and still operate semi-auto.  This will probably continue as the commercial side-charging handles are on the left, making them difficult to operate while in position.  Not all spaceguns use this modification as some owners are comfortable with a GI butt, and some adjustable cheekpieces accomodate the standard charging handle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Mill the reciever, drill and tap a hole in the bolt cerrier, install a bolt, turnoff the gas.. Springloaded(forward assist) bolt gun......
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
 Might be Cal. legal.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top