Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 12:59:56 PM EDT
I just got a new FN Patrol bolt gun and was thinking about ordering some ammo.
It seems that the SA and Wolf .308 are about the same price.  Which onew should I get?  
How accurate is the SA stuff?  Thanks.

John
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
SA is OK in the accuracy dept. All depends on the Rifle. However, it is very good surplus ammo and I've never found a bad round in all I have shot. [thousands +] If it was reloadable that would be a plus but for the price, you won't find much better any more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It seems that the SA and Wolf .308 are about the same price.  Which onew should I get?  

John

Had one w/ 18" BBL only ammo it liked was Fed Gold Metal 175gr
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I can vouch for the SA, but I've never shot the Wolf.  This out of a SA NM1A.   Very accurate and reliable.  

The Wolf has the advantage of being new production, with a possibility of warranty et al.  But the SA is pretty universally respected while the Wolf is still the new kid on the block.

-K
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
SA is good to go.  Never tried the wolf...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried SA last week at the range out of my Savage 10FP LE2B.  Out of the four rounds I tried,
only one primer ignited.  I load the three that didn't fire into my FAL and Bang Bang Band....  So much for SA out of my bolt gun.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've dumped about 300 rds of the SA through my HK 91, runs nice, not overly dirty that I could tell..  Can't comment on the Wolf never used it..

John P..

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I havent tried Wolf either, but ordered my third ammo can of South African this year to be put away for later use. I have battle pack of SA, and others to use up first in a G3 and Saiga...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Wolf will always be available.  SA is drying up.... then there will potentially be no .308 surp around for a while.

I say, buy up as much SA as you can afford for now.... then buy Wolf later, provided that is all that is available.  Steel cased Wolf has never had a stellar accuracy reputation, but I have not evaluated their .308 product.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

John

Make sure the surplus rounds are generally 7.62x51 and not true .308.  This may cause pressure problems in your bolt gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Have put many rounds of SA through a 700 with very good results. You should find results the same.

Chief
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Make sure the surplus rounds are generally 7.62x51 and not true .308.  This may cause pressure problems in your bolt gun.

Are you saying the FN PBR cannot handle SAAMI max pressure domestic commercial ammunition?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have put many rounds of SA through a 700 with very good results. You should find results the same.

Chief

You are luckier then I am, but again it depends on what "good results" means. So far, two military surplus made my "okay to shoot in bolt gun" list; they are Portugal and Hirtenbrger surplus. Both will do 1MOA out of my 700 VS; SA will can only do 2MOA, don't have a chance to try the FN surplus yet (have about 1200rds). Normally I shoot my own handloads with 168gr Sierra MatchKing BTHP for better accuracy. Surplus are for my M1A to consume.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

John

To truely get the capability out of your bolt gun, I'd say neither. Haven't try Wolf .308 before but doubt if it's any better then it's .223 brother; for SA I can only get 2MOA accuracy, while doing sub MOA with my handload or Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr out of the same gun. Try them both and you'd see the difference. But if all you are looking for is plinking ammo and don't need it to shoot tight group, then I'd say all should work fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think he is looking for match grade accuracy out of 25 year old FMJ surplus ammo. Once again for what it is, and what it costs, the SA is a fine choice of the two options. Not really fair to compare with match ammo loads, or for the most part most standard factory loads. You get what you pay for.

Chief
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't think he is looking for match grade accuracy out of 25 year old FMJ surplus ammo. Once again for what it is, and what it costs, the SA is a fine choice of the two options. Not really fair to compare with match ammo loads, or for the most part most standard factory loads. You get what you pay for.

Chief

My point exactly. Depends on what you are looking for. Accuracy is in the eye of beholder.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have fired Wolf .308 in my 98k, FedOrd M14, and two of my Springfield Armory M1As.  Accuracy was very good in the 98k and the FedOrd M14, it was okay in the M1As.  The same with South African 7.62mm.  My son has fired Wolf out of his M1 Garand with very good results.  Both brands of ammo functioned just fine in my rifles and in the M1.  My M1As shoot Port surplus extremely well.  I usually buy the S.A. simply because it is cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I know I saw an ad for Wolf Gold in .308, two different loads. I know one load was a 168 grn. bullet. I can't remember if the other was a SP or FMJ. I'm praying they will import some M80 just like they are doing with the 5.56 M193!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have fired Wolf .308 in my 98k, FedOrd M14, and two of my Springfield Armory M1As.  Accuracy was very good in the 98k and the FedOrd M14, it was okay in the M1As.  The same with South African 7.62mm.  My son has fired Wolf out of his M1 Garand with very good results.  Both brands of ammo functioned just fine in my rifles and in the M1.  My M1As shoot Port surplus extremely well.  I usually buy the S.A. simply because it is cheaper.

Heresy!  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top