Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/11/2003 4:06:15 PM EST
I suppose Brownells has 'em, but that site is a pain in the a$$ to navigate, and they are overpriced anyway.

Is there someplace else I can get the tools required to build a lower?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:12:06 PM EST
My local S-K dealer had roll pin punches priced reasonably. Look for someone who sell all types of fasteners. Danny
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:56:17 PM EST
Try here for the major set and then got to Brownells for the odd ones not carried. [url]http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00943167000[/url]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:04:30 PM EST
yeah just go to Sears. there's a small set for around $5. that's all you need to put a lower together.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:22:59 PM EST
MSC ( www.mscdirect.com or 1-800-645-7270 )has them in several different brands including the brand Brownells sells.Look under "guide punches" in the index. Another company that gets good reviews on the machinists sites I visit is McMaster-Carr.I"ve never purchased from them but many people like them. Most machinist tools that Brownells sells are available for a lower price from MSC etc so it's worth looking unless you're buying something from Brwonells anyway and the shipping on another item from elsewhere will offset the savings. Robert.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:25:14 PM EST
Won't a regular punch set work?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:40:00 PM EST
Ken Elmore? Your going to need a special punch to put the bolt catch in so might as well get a whole set from him.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:40:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2003 7:41:35 PM EST by _DR]
Don't use a regular pin puch for a roll pin, you risk scarring your finish and injuring yourself. Especially for the trigger guard roll pin. Sears has a nice set of Craftsman roll pin punches in the sizes you need for about $20, its well worth it, believe me. I built my first lower with regular pin punches only, what a nightmare. The second one was a snap with the right tools. Just get the rollpin punch set, you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:46:48 PM EST
I believe bigbore is selling some roll pin punches made for some of the specific pins that make it really ease. He is advertising on the EE board. His have the dimples on the tip. For what it's worth, I got the full set of roll pin punches and roll pin holders from Brownells (as well as the master Magna bit set) and I have gotten tremendous use out of all these tools far beyond just using them building an AR-15. I think it's worth the investment. Though if you can get them cheaper elsewhere, more power to you!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:51:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2003 5:52:41 AM EST by SBR7_11]
Here we go again, find the roll-pin punches on the [red][b]Snap-On[/b][/red] or [yellow][b]MAC[/b][/yellow] or [b][black]MATCO[/black][/b] or [b][blue]Cornwell[/blue][/b] tool truck at any of you local auto repair facilities/new car dealerships. I have 2 sets, MATCO and Snap-On.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:40:56 AM EST
Wow! All those responses in less than 24 hours. AR-15.com members are good people. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:53:00 AM EST
1) If Craftsman makes them, they might be really desireable cause they will replace them every time you break them. 2) This board is great for this kind of info. Always check here first before shelling out the clams, you may save yourself a lot of money and not waste your hard earned sheckles on things that are worthless but didn't know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:42:47 AM EST
I'm with AKMike on this one...I too have the Brownells roll pin and roll pin holder punch sets...and the Magna Tip screwdriver set. They've made putting several lower together a snap, and the screw drivers are awesome. Spend the money, you won't regret it in the long run. Oh,yeah, get one of those bench block hockey puck things...they're great.
Top Top