Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 4:20:03 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a source other than www.sawlesales.com.  I am not sure I need $50.00 worth of parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M4 spring and a blue insert in one gun, dont have an insert in the other 2.. All seem to work fine.. Try gunsprings.com
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
For about the 100th time, the color of the insert DOES NOT MATTER.  

The color of the insert was a visual identifier for the strength of the spring.  Get a Wolff Extra Power Extractor spring and stick your, or any other color insert, in it.  

Nothing is special about a black insert.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one rifle that doesn't even have an insert and runs just fine...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For about the 100th time, the color of the insert DOES NOT MATTER.  

The color of the insert was a visual identifier for the strength of the spring.  Get a Wolff Extra Power Extractor spring and stick your, or any other color insert, in it.  

Nothing is special about a black insert.  

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
AR-15 EXTACTOR BUFFER

Check these out at Brownells.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AR-15 EXTACTOR BUFFER

Check these out at Brownells.

Haha.

Show me how those are any "stronger" than a regular black inserts from any AR manufacturer?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
"Extractor bounce"(!?)

Cripes, now I've got something else to worry about

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get a "bolt upgrade kit" from one of our fine vendors here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Gee, I suppose I missed the first 99 times this was discussed.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gee, I suppose I missed the first 99 times this was discussed.

Thanks.

Well my statement was clearly an overstatement.  

I in no way meant to dig on you, but I do think a tacked thread about this needs to be posted.  It is becoming, to me, a more popular question to ask and the answer is always the same.  

But see, now that you asked, you know.  And when someone else asks here tomorrow, you can pass the knowledge along.  Ain't this place great!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a black insert in my RRA bolt, but it's not rubber but rather a very hard plastic/composite.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone actually have a rifle that REQUIRES the insert?
As in actually tested rifle with and without insert?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
There is, so far as I know, only one exception to the "color doesn't matter" rule.  The very first M16s used a white insert, and the blue piece that replaced it was stiffer than the white.  This was part of the upgrade that included the buffer redesign and chrome chambers (later entire bore) to overcome the function problems being experienced in Viet Nam.

It is quite likely that because of this, many, including myself, assumed that when Colt went to the black piece, it was again a stiffnes change.  It turns out though that this time Colt made the change simply to indicate the stiffer M4 type spring, bacause Colt packages the spring and insert together on military resupply orders.

Suffice it to say that the guys who have posted about using blue inserts are absolutely right.  If you're using a heavy duty spring, don't drive yourself crazy trying to find a black insert.

Don't mean a thing--Not a thing
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The purpose of the insert is to minimize lateral deflection of the spring under load. I used to have a link to an authoratative source for this but lost it when an HD crapped out. That is the gist of it though.  Basically, the insert is not absolutely required but provides a bit of insurance against extraction failure in a combat rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The purpose of the insert is to minimize lateral deflection of the spring under load. I used to have a link to an authoratative source for this but lost it when an HD crapped out. That is the gist of it though.  Basically, the insert is not absolutely required but provides a bit of insurance against extraction failure in a combat rifle.

So, you're saying that the insert is merely to keep the spring straight?
Makes sense...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#16]
These work VERY WELL for me!

SA05006 EXTRACTOR SPRING ASSY, S/A HEAVY DUTY (GREEN W/ BLACK INSERT)   $5.50
SA05012 EXTRACTOR SPRING ASSY, S/A HEAVY DUTY (GREEN W/ BLUE INSERT)      $ 5.50

Specialized Armament Warehouse (S.A.W.)
P.O. Box 6310
Chandler, AZ 85246-6310
(480) 940-7397
(480) 940-6323 fax
Monday-Friday 9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m. M.S.T.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The Wolff springs carry a lifetime warranty and are less than $4 if you buy a pack of 3 or about $4 for 1.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top