Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 3:32:48 PM EDT
Today I went out and treated myself to a new Aimpoint Comp ML2, a First Samco M44 Handguard set with 4 M1913 rails and rubber covers, and 200 rounds of Lot 74 XM-193.  

Upon mounting the Aimpoint I found that it's mounted too low on my flat top upper.  The front site post completely obscures the red dot.  Any ideas?  I don't want to mount it on the forward rails.  What kind of riser do Y'all recommend and where can I get it?  

FWIW I noticed that the new handguard adds a noticeable amount of weight.  Is it a good product or did I just buy myself a piece of crap?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
what mount are you using?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
For mounting optics the M33 is "crap." However, if you just want a quick cheap rail system for mounting lights, foregrips, bipods, whatever, then it does the job fine. I have one myself and just keep the optics mounted on the actual receiver.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh and I ran into the same problem that you have with your Aimpoint. I ended up just getting a pair of risers from Bushmaster that put it at the perfect level.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Oh and I ran into the same problem that you have with your Aimpoint. I ended up just getting a pair of risers from Bushmaster that put it at the perfect level.

Great!  Thanks!  I'll look into that.  I'll check their web site.  I'm not interested in mounting optics to the rail,  just to the reciever. FWIW I'm using 30mm rings on the upper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend money once, and get a GOOD mount.

I'd go with a Larue, or some sort of cantilever setup.  Arms, GGG, and Knights make cantilever mounts.

I know spending more money may not be what you want, but inevitably, you will end up with a good mount someday.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock River has a Riser Mount for 35 dollars.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Will it raise my Aimpoint high enough to see above the front site post?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Spend money once, and get a GOOD mount.

I'd go with a Larue, or some sort of cantilever setup.  Arms, GGG, and Knights make cantilever mounts.

I know spending more money may not be what you want, but inevitably, you will end up with a good mount someday.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Y'all for posting here.  I went with a riser mount from DPMS for $49.95.  Hopefully that'll fix my problem and I'll be in business.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
should NOT have gotten the samco m-33 handguards; they suck

should have gotten YHM 4 rail slip ons
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top