BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 3:52:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i mainly use mine for Plinking right now.. i'd like to get into Competitions with it.. but i don't have the time to dedicate myself to it right now...

i've just put on a ARFX stock, and i have a scope on it, not sure of the company, it's a 3-9x40 for the Delta Style mount..

here's a picture [img]http://store3.yimg.com/I/cdnn_1763_2568677[/img]

also, here's a picture of the stock, from the ACE LTD site [img]http://www.riflestocks.com/info/ACE_Web_AR_prod._Jpeg/AR1%20%20(ARFX_M4).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My Evil Green Rifle, (Cav-15, 20" flattop) is my go to coyote gun.  While it is light for an AR-15, its kinda heavy compared to my A-Bolt II, but the raw cong killing firepower it contains makes any furbearer weep.  

With coyotes coming in in pairs often times, have plenty of ammo to get the first on, then give the second hell is a great thing to have.  You can always get the first one with one shot, but the second is impossible to direct fire upon with a bolt action rifle.  Having little or no recoil and not having to remove the cheek weld is awsome for fire corrections.

It also may serve as my Praire Dog gun, but I prefer my .22-250.  3-9x isnt enough to bring burning destruction down on a prone prairie poodle.  

I must admit it is an awsome gun to bring along and pop off a few mags when you head outdoors.  Its just a joy to shoot, and its cheap enough you can blow off a hundred rounds and be out 20 bucks.  

In short, 2.) Plinking and 6.) Hunting

I havent modified it a whole lot yet, I put a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 3x9 scope on it.  I may put a Luepold as I prefer their optics to pretty much any other brand.  Im looking to throw a sling and a Houge Grip All on it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
3 gun and thats about it.
I plink to practice for 3 gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright Russell, you've caught my attention. I have to jump into this one. [:)]

I would say I bought my AR's for #2, #3 when I feel comfortable doing that and, "just in case", #5. That being said, I really do take my "hobby" seriously and go to the range on a regular basis. I feel guilty if I don't.

I admittedly have gear that is above my capability as a shooter right now. I know my doo-dads really don't help me shoot any better but I also learned a long time ago that I don't like to skimp either. I prefer to spend the extra money on quality gear so the odds of having to deal with problems is lower.

Here's what's on my M-4gery and how it might help me be a ever-so-slightly better shooter:

1) Aimpoint M-2 - Red dots make shooting easier for me but I admit I need to spend more time with irons.

2) Collapsible stock - I like to be able to just the LOP based upon the situation (standing vs. prone). Plus, I do like having compact rifles (wish I could have SBR's)

3) RAS - IMHO, free floating the barrel never hurts especially when I like using a vertical grip.

4) Vertical Grip - I definitely find like it for shooting freehand and it's more natural for me.

5) Surefire M900 - Ok, I screwed up. I never should have bought this. I really don't like it. I got gear fever and wasn't thinking right. That's why I'm going to replace it with a M952C. All that being said, I have never shot at night so why do I need it? Well, I plan on taking a few carbine classes next year and I know I will need a light for those.

BTW, please don't take what I'm saying as defensive. I really got what you were saying in that "other" thread and, as you know, it struck home.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
This is right in line with what I've been doing with my "collection" over the last year.  Paring down to things I actually use.  To that end my DSA is currently my go-to gun.  Use it in our IDPA rifle matches, target shoot, and would grab it in a SHTF or home defense situation. (spare me the lecture on .308 being too big for HD).  So this would be 2,3 & 5.

I am trying to get together an ultralight all purpose AR built on.. surprise, one of the Cav MKII lowers.  I am discussing possiblities for the upper with Kurt, and ordering bits and pieces at a time.  This one will become the new 2,3 & 5 if it works out, and the DSA will become just the EOTWAWKI rifle.

I also have a shorty BM that's a project gun that's never gotten off the ground.  I have all the parts but the scope rings, and I need to get my RAS straigtened out.  It's really just an experiment more than anything else.  Once it's done I may break it down & sell the parts or move them to other guns.  I guess this one counts as 7, since you don't really have experimental gun listed, haha.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
All but #4 I didn't buy it for the investment
but the only way you lose money on a firearm is if you paid to much or you have to dump it quick in a time of need.I try to shoot at least once a week I live in the country and
have a back stop set up so I can shoot off
the back deck never been to a range like to
try it some time though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
 I own firearms mainly because I enjoy just knowing that I own some very kick ass pieces of engineering and because as an American, I can!  If I didn't spend my money on firearms or mags or ammo, my cash would just go to worthless shit like beer or girls or clothes.  So I feel as though it's an investment of my money to buy guns because they keep somewhat of their value if taken care of.  
  I've done a few 3-gun matches and plan on doing more when time allows.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
2, 5, and 6

Bought my Bushmaster H-BAR when I was 16...got it solely for plinking, justified the purchase by telling my dad it was for hunting. He was quite pleased to see that I was able to take down a buck with the small caliber. I also have SHTF loads in a mag at all times.

Out of all the components my harris bipod takes the cake. It stabilizes the rifle so well that it is almost impossible to miss, even with the irons.

Although, having a 6-18x scope doesn't hurt either...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I use mine for fun mainly.  I guess it would also be for self defense if the need arises and I can't take care of the threat with my Glock 23.  Zombies take multiple hits to take down, or so I have heard.

JBritt
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
'cause I Like Army stuff, and Uncle Sam wouldn't let me take an M-16 home (or my sweet, sweet M-60, Henrietta, either).

Plinking, the occasional match, self defense, I like military rifles. The mechanics fascinate me. And building them is like Tinker Toys that go 'bang'.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is right in line with what I've been doing with my "collection" over the last year.  Paring down to things I actually use.  

View Quote
I think there is some value to this.

To answer Russell's question, my AR is for plinking and general fun, not that I wouldn't shoot someone with it if I was forced to.

I do hunt, but I have a Remington 700 for that.
View Quote

I just have too many other hobbies & activities to let money sit tied up in a safe simply for warm fuzzies or bragging rights.  I just don't see collecting as anything other than that, whether it be guns or commemorative plates.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Lets not forget walking around your house with them. Stopping in front of a mirror now and than for a look, or waiting for the S to HTF.

Plinking, some field training with friends, and not as much 3-gun as I would like.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
pure plinking fun.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
That information is classified.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#18]
[heavy]My Oly M4gry is for plinking, fun shoots, etc, and for home defense. This one gets the most use. I try to get out at least once a month, once a week would be better, however family has priority.

[sniper]Dalphon flat top with Lothar Walther 24" SS barrel for varmint shooting.
Used to go to a friend of a friends ranch in Livermore CA. But ranch owner "Mr.C" passed away recently and daughter sold ranch. Mr. C used to love it when we came up to shoot. Saved him from using pesticides to get rid of the squirrels. At the end of the day we would spend some time with Mr. C (his wife recently passed away and kids moved out. he was very lonely), drinking, BBQing, Bullshitting. We had a great time. Mr. C used to work at the rad lab before retirement. One of my favorite stories, Mr. C and a couple of his co workers got really bored one day and on a "betcha can't do it" dare, chromed the banana that his wife packed in his lunch. Man, I really miss those weekends.

[rolleyes]Colt Sporter Match HBAR, after I got the other 2, this one has been a safe queen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I recently dumped all my AR-15 and AR-10 rifles to purchase a registered M16 rifle.

[b]1) Collector's Item/Investment[/b]
[red]This is my main reason for purchasing it.[/red]

[b]2) Plinking/Fun Shoots/Recreation[/b]
[red]This is my second reason for purchase. The good thing about an M16 is you can shoot the heck out of it and the value still keeps climbing. I will have NO regrets dumping mags.[/red]

[b]3) Competitive Shooting (list types)[/b]
[red]I doubt that I will ever get around to entering into this activity.[/red]

[b]4) Military/LEO Duty Use[/b]
[red]No, I have no future LEO/military plans.[/red]

[b]5) Civilian Defensive Use/Trunk Gun[/b]
[red]I'm sure the government would frown on me shooting an intruder with it, so that is out of the question. My "go-to" weapon for home defense would be my Benelli M1014 shotgun with either 00 or #1 Buck.[/red]

[b]6) Hunting[/b]
[red]I hunt various species of animals year round, depending on seasons. My state prohibits hunting with full-autos and sound suppressors, so again, not an option.[/red]

As for accessories, it will be set up in an M4A1 configuration, probably with the following:

Either a Vltor or Magpul telestock. I desire a truly compact carbine.

Aimpoint ML2 optics. As this is not my long-range precision rifle, I feel that a red dot sight will give me fast target acquisition.

ARMS #40 Back-up iron sight. Pretty self explanatory.

ARMS #45 rail system. More for its cooling abilities than any other reason, although it will aid in the mounting on my Aimpoint forward of the receiver and allow the mounting of a vertical grip as well.

If all goes well, I'd like to include a good sound suppressor in the package to quiet things down a little.

I'll probably add a KNS pin set to save my investment from firecontrol pin hole wear.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#20]
All of the above, except #4.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I use my Bushmaster Shorty for hunting coyotes and crows.

I've puy together a lower and I'm waiting for the arrival of an Olympic Arms upper in 243 wssm I ordered. I plan to use this gun for deer hunting.  I've been told they will strat shipping Jan. 12.  I can't wait.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#22]
#3, #2, and #5 when necessary.[:D]

I shoot every tactical rifle match and CQB match that I can make.  I've shot several 3-gun matches, and I'm gearing up to do some traveling after the first of the year.  I'm building a shotgun; if anyone has any comments on the Remington Competition Master please let me know.

The AR's I currently compete with include:
1) A Cav-arms lower/Bushmaster carbine upper, heavy fluted barrel with the TERRIBLE[:D] Mini-Y comp.  I'm using a GG&G rail and an Aimpoint Comp ML2 in a railgrabber mount. The front sight is standard, with a GG&G flip up BUIS.  

2) An SWR suppressed Colt 634.  I'm using another Aimpoint comp ML2 on the A1 gooseneck mount.

The first one is for distance, and the second one is for the CQB stuff.  We don't have any ranges where extended distances are involved, so the Aimpoints work just fine.  Both guns have match triggers, and the CQB solutions slings are available when necessary.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Plinking and home defense...I hope to get into hunting sometime soon though.  Maybe once I get a 458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Mainly plinking and trunk-gun use, although I do like to just look at it sometimes, and go, "Yeah, I have an awesome gun."
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Plinking / killing cardboard and paper,  #3 could be fun, but I'm not much of a marksman yet.

Hope I don't ever have to use it for #5 but it is there.

#6  Haven't been able to go p-doggin yet.  Need to find some time to head to the Dakotas.

Carbine:  Battlegrip - I love the minimal texture and the capacity for 2 extra AAs for my EOTech.   EOTech,  very fast sight acquisition,  I'm decent with it to maybe 50 yards.

Deluxe24:  Weaver V24,  so far this has been a great scope,  love the reticle (very thin lines)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#26]
The antis think that the ar15 cannot be used for hunting this is not true! coyotes and crows
anything varment then in some states switch to the Ar10 for deer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Zombies! What else would a gun like it be used for?[;)]

Samuel
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#28]
7) Other.

I use mine to cook bacon for breakfast.  Bumpfire about 3 mags worth of ammo with bacon strips wrapped around the barrel.  Makes it nice and crispy in just a few seconds.  And the grease helps keep rust away!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I like to clutch it and wave it around while watching Platoon or Heat.

If the wife starts complaining about the movie, I sweep the dog a few times and that takes her mind off of the channel changer.

I guess that falls in the recreation catagory.
That, and plinking.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#30]
[b]My rifle: [/b]
Colt A2 Sporter Match H-Bar 1:7 (Pre-Ban)
Alternate Upper, Pre-Ban Bushmaster 16” M4 A3 Flattop 1:9

[b]The uses: [/b]
#1) - Collector's Item/Investment (Long-term goal of all my firearms)
#2) - Plinking/Fun Shoots/Recreation
#3) - Competitive Shooting ( 3-gun )
#5) - Home Defense & 2nd Amendment Defender

[b]My Accessories so far: [/b]
Colt 4 Position CAR Style Collapsible Stock
Smith Vortex G6-A1 Flash Hider
EOTech 552.A65
ARMS #40
GG&G Rectangular Receiver End Plate Adapter
CQB Solution MOUT Single Point Sling

[b]Accessories Coming Soon (in order): [/b]
Knight RAS-FF
PRI Folding Front Sight
Tango Down Vertical Foregrip
Surefire M972C w/ throw lever mount

My accessories are for #3 & #5, they don’t do $h!t for #1...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Zombies! What else would a gun like it be used for?[;)]

Samuel
View Quote

Stop the flow of communism.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been waiting for someone to ask:
#1 -  I agree with what go8dalejr said about firearms as investments. I once had a great collection, got broke and had to sell them for pennies on the dollar. I'm rehabilitated now, and never buy anything I don't intend to USE!
#2 - I do a lot of plinking. about once a week, I'll fill up a few cans with water, and blow 'em up, AFTER I've done my hiking (see #6 below)
#3 - not interested at all.
#4 - I'm a prosecutor. I don't get to carry a gun at work.
#5 - My AR is one of several home defense guns. I subscribe to the belief that the best gun to have in a gun fight is ONE YOU HAVE. I have no military or LE personal experience, so some people will say I don't have a right to spout this opinion, and it's true that I have no idea how I'd behave in such a situation. But I have several good guns. That's a start.
#6 - My #1 use. But what I do isn't really hunting; I'm walking around the swamps, beaver ruins and sloughs of East Texas with my AR. I'd rather eat steak than venison, and I don't beleive in killing what you ain't gonna eat, so... I make exceptions for snakes (True fun is wading into a snake-filled slough with a full mag!), crows, and feral dogs. I would gladly make an exception for feral hogs, but I haven't seen one yet.

What I have: Colt 16" match Target Competition HBAR II
I've added: a Leupold 3x9x40mm because I can't hit what I can't see; hogue grip, and camo tape on the plastic parts. The grip and the tape don't really enhance performance; but... I like them.
I would like to add: some kind of sights, possibly an EO Tech, that would help when I almost step on a water moccasin. I emptied a mag on one a few weekends ago, and only hit him twice. Maybe I was excited...
It would have helped to be able to SEE him thru the scope.
Thanks 4 asking!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#33]
1) Collector's item(s)- but because I'm an obssesive geek, not for "investment".
2) Plinking/fun shoots/ recreation- not as often as I like!
5) Civilian defense/trunk gun- SHTF/TEOTWAWKI ??
7) Other?- ahem, well.....[sex]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#34]
My rifle is used in "low speed" operations involving varmits, pests, paper, dirt, trees, and steel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#35]
1) Collector's Item/Investment
[blue]Naw.  I spend money on Quads, Streetbikes, and machinery/tools.  I have a small machine shop.[/blue]
2)  Plinking/Fun Shoots/Recreation
[blue]Yep![/blue]
3) Competitive Shooting (list types)
[blue]Not anymore.  Although I still have an interest in working up loads for long distance in my AR-10's.[/blue]
4)  Military/LEO Duty Use
[blue]Ex-Army but now I'm LEO, but I can't use my guns for duty use.[:(][/blue]
5) Civilian Defensive Use/Trunk Gun
[blue]SHTF gun and one set up with NVG for my property.[/blue]
6) Hunting
[blue]AR-10 iron sight for feral pigs, although I'm working on a AR-10 carbine for deer next season.[/blue]
7) Other?
[blue]My favorite AR-15 is my Frankensteined Oly/SGW Pre-ban lower, RRA, DPMS, Armalite SS barrelled etc...
I mostly plink and use it on my gun rack on my Polaris ATV.  I live in the boonies and have stumbled across meth cookers and marijuana grows.  I wouldn't be caught without it in the boonies.[/blue]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Home invasions, bank robberies and assasinations. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Home invasions, bank robberies and [u]assasinations[/u]. [rolleyes]
View Quote

[green]Assasinations are best with a 12 guage 000 buck up close (no forensic marking) or a .308 with an accelerator projectile (no forensic marking).
There's a trick of the trade for you.[/green]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I use my firearms for self defense and maintain proficiency through weekly range sessions.

The primary defensive firearm is a Sig Sauer P226 in a concealed carry role.

A 12-Guage pump with pistol grip is jerry-rigged under the dash for passenger side use.

A Stoner 63 belt fed with bipod is kept concealed on the floor area behind the front seats of the 4-wheel drive Outback.

The AR-15 is kept as a 'backup trunk gun', accessible via the back seat.

A small snub-nose .38 is in the glove box somewhere.

Now, in my home..........
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:03:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Home invasions, bank robberies and [u]assasinations[/u]. [rolleyes]
View Quote

[green]Assasinations are best with a 12 guage 000 buck up close (no forensic marking) or a .308 with an accelerator projectile (no forensic marking).
There's a trick of the trade for you.[/green]
View Quote

I have heard they have a way to test for buckshot.  Dont know if thats true or not.  In fact I cant imagine that unless they have firing pin markings on a spent shell.  

Man, I bet I am on an FBI watch list now. [:p]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Therapeutic reasons that I'm not at liberty to discuss.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#41]
To be able to shoot what I have to should I ever be required to do so and at all other times what is legal to.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#42]
2,3,5&6.
Here in Texas I have seen a strong increase (to my enjoyment) in the number of hunters that are using the AR for varmits, hogs (lots of hogs can show up at one time), and as a ranch rifle (the gun you keep in the front seat while you are are on the dirt ranch roads.) I have hunted with traditional deer rifles for years and left the the black rifles at home because of the comments you tend to hear from the uninformed hunters sitting around the camp fire. (i.e. 'machine gun' for hunting) But now that attitude seems to have diminshed. I was at Bass Pro Shops here in D/FW looking at the hunting pictures people had brought in and several hunters were holding AR's- one had 20 pigs he took in one night.  

J
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Therapeutic reasons that I'm not at liberty to discuss.
View Quote

hehehe, I like that reason.  going to do some of that day after Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#44]
[bow]

That is another good time for them. When I was schooling in the "big city" I used to take my lunches at the Bullseye indoor range. Just me and a 12 gage. Prolly saved others a lot of hurt feelings throughout those years, definitely saved me a lot of aggravation.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#45]
8) Blastin' the shit out of stuff.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Women love it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#47]
#1 and #2, collecting and plinking.  

I finally got my dream rifle nearly set up, and have found the following items made a difference:

1. M4 profile handguards (M33 Samco, nice and comfy!)

2. M93 Magpul (even the A1 stock has too long a LOP for me to be comfortable- yeah, yeah, go ahead with the short jokes)

3.  Phantom flash hider.  Don't know how much of a difference it made, but with the above three items my groupings shrunk in half(!) so I'll give it some credit.

I also have an OKO to mount when I get a BUIS, and I know that improves my groups sizings by another 25% at least not to mention speed of follow up shots from when it was mounted on my HK94.

I should mention the baseline comparison is a preban flattop M4 I recently built up as my "dream carbine" vs. my postban DPMS M4.  the DPMS is nice and accurate, the new rifle just works better for me.

There is my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like to clutch it and wave it around while watching Platoon or Heat.

If the wife starts complaining about the movie, I sweep the dog a few times and that takes her mind off of the channel changer.

I guess that falls in the recreation catagory.
That, and plinking.
View Quote

[rofl]

Yeah, none of the BG's could kill off Max Payne while my roommate was playing Xbox the other night, but once I had the red dot installed he never stood a chance! [;)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top