Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:16:12 AM EDT
I've recently acquired the bug for another AR.  I've got an RRA Elite CAR A4, and was thinking about something a little different.  I've narrowed it down to, amongst some other things, either a Colt 6450 or an RRA 9mm A4, either of which I would eventually want to make into a SBR.  How are the RRAs working out for everyone?  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using the RRA 9mm upper with a Hahn mag block and it works great.  So far, it's fed and shot everything I've put in it, frangible, hydrashoks that were sitting around in the garage, ball, anything else I can scrounge lying around the place.

Very pleased with mine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My 9mm RRA upper is working out great.  I put it on a RRA lower with a Hahn mag block.  With as good as the Hahn mag blocks are, I am surprised RRA just doesn't use them instead of whatever block they are using or making themselves.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
How are the mag blocks attached?  Forgive my ignorance, I've only seen one 9mm AR in my life and that was a long time ago, but it was a Colt and IIRC the block was attached with roll pins through the lower receiver and block?    

By the way Steve....I love my Elite.  Thanks for everything.    
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
My factory built only works with Pro Mags. Have tried 4 R/R Uzi and two Cot will not eject with them. But the gun is 100% with Pro Mags. Also put on a scope to test accuracy have shot many 1" and even some Sub 1" 100 yard groups. Yes my magazine block has moved. I now insert the magazines very gently.  I would like to see the block pinned in place but that would void my warranty if I did it. Rock River has offered to work on the gun but I think I will wait and see what happens. Like I said it is  100% reliable with the cheapest magazines on the market.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How are the mag blocks attached?  Forgive my ignorance, I've only seen one 9mm AR in my life and that was a long time ago, but it was a Colt and IIRC the block was attached with roll pins through the lower receiver and block?    

By the way Steve....I love my Elite.  Thanks for everything.    

The factory Colt's are pinned in.  The other blocks are not usually pinned in.  Some drop in the lower from the top and are held in place by attaching the upper receiver.  Others are put in from the bottom and have some sort of tension pin to hold them in.  The toploaders can't come out, the bottom loaders sometimes do.

The Hy-tech uzi mag block is held in by the original mag catch and uses its own mag catch to hold in the uzi mags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We're not having too many issues, but the system isn't perfect.
Potential for mag-block movement exists, especially if the mag is smacked into place rather than just pushed in until it seats.  That has been the biggest problem reported so far (but very few at that) and we're working on it.  Personally, I have about 11,000 rounds through mine and haven't had any issues with it...and the barrel is still good.
Steve/RRA

Tagged.  If the mag-block problem gets solved, please update it here!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You guys will be the first to know...right after me.
Remember, that hasn't been a problem with every 9mm out there.  We've heard from a handful of users out of several hundred rifles delivered, and thousands of conversion uppers (I don't assume they all used our mag block, but based on sales numbers, a lot of them did).
Thanks.
Steve/RRA

Thanks.  We see a RRA conversion in the near-future and we're deciding on what block to get.  We're willing to wait and see what improvements you guys come up with.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Well...my RRA build is still not working properly, getting failures to eject. All RRA parts including the mag block. Does not work at all with COLT mags and works 90% with RRA converted Uzi mags.

Please let me know if/when a new block is available, hopefully it'll fix up my gun.

barry
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We're not having too many issues, but the system isn't perfect.
Potential for mag-block movement exists, especially if the mag is smacked into place rather than just pushed in until it seats.  That has been the biggest problem reported so far (but very few at that) and we're working on it.  Personally, I have about 11,000 rounds through mine and haven't had any issues with it...and the barrel is still good.
Steve/RRA

The one I am picking up tomorrow felt like the only way to get the mag to seat was to smack it up in the wag well.  Just trying to slide it in would not get it to seat properly.  This was using the factory mag that came with the gun.  Is there a trick to getting the mag in without smacking it?

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well...my RRA build is still not working properly, getting failures to eject. All RRA parts including the mag block. Does not work at all with COLT mags and works 90% with RRA converted Uzi mags.

Please let me know if/when a new block is available, hopefully it'll fix up my gun.

barry

It's probably the magblock.  The ejector is built into the magblock.  Check to make sure it is tightened.  There should be two hex screws holding it in.  If that doesn't fix it, try a Hahn block, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

barry

What magblock do you have????? I believe RRA changed designs some time late last year or early this year...and it was nothing but problems.....thay have since gone back to their original design.....  In fact it wouldn't even hold the bolt open with Colt mags.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm using the RRA 9mm upper with a Hahn mag block and it works great.  So far, it's fed and shot everything I've put in it, frangible, hydrashoks that were sitting around in the garage, ball, anything else I can scrounge lying around the place.

Very pleased with mine.

+1.

I am using the Hahn dedicated mag block.  When using Colt mags, it runs 100% on all kinds of ammo.  I havn't found a single kind of ammo that doesn't work yet.

Very pleased with my RRA upper/Hahn mag block combo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Colt 6450 or an RRA 9mm A4, either of which I would eventually want to make into a SBR.  How are the RRAs working out for everyone?  Thanks.  

I just hacked a RRA 9mm. upper to use on my 6450 lower. It runs right and fits right. No sights though [cut too much off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
RRAMOD,

Why are your 9MM barrels a heavy type barrel and not a lightweight barrel?  I bought a 9mm upper and was disappointed to discover when I opened the box to find it heavy in front of the handguards.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one of the factory carbines, and I can't say enough good things about it.  I have an Aimpoint on mine, and it's one of the most fun carbines I own.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Steve,

My RRA 9mm wasn't factory built but is all RRA parts. Can I still send it in?

Thanks,
Barry
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top