Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 11:13:00 AM EDT
What is the difference between the two?  Honestly, I don't know since none of my builds have standard handguards.  Does anybody have a picture that would clearly show the differences?  I am assuming that the double heat shields keep your hands cooler.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a set of dual shielded Colts:

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am assuming that the double heat shields keep your hands cooler.  MJD

That's the idea.  With two metal heat shields there are two different air-flow layers and thus less of the heat stays on the barrel and gets radiated to your hand.  YMMV-it all depends on how much and how fast you fire, as well as how hot you think "hot" is.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a set of Colt,RRA and cav arms all M4 fat ones.The polymer in the cav arms is superior to both and have better heat dissipation.The Colt and RRA feel the smae to me except Colt has double shields the others single.So maybe Colt uses a lower grade polymer.I know there is 2 ways to do it thermoset and compression molded I dont know wich the respective companies use but I think compression is stronger although if you use an inferior polymer it probably dosent matter what process molded it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddies got the glacierguards unfortunately they hold in the heat on an HBAR.They came on the L&W conversion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You should also try DPMS Glacier guards.  I'm really happy with the set I tried out.  

I like mine. They stay pretty cool. After some quick fire of about 60 rds or so smoke just pours out the top vent holes but the handguards are still comfortable to hold. They stay much cooler than single heatshield M4 guards. I have not tried the double heatshield guards so I don't know if they work better or not. Leitner Weise said they are the best M4 handguards you can get. They claimed to test them all. Plus you can get them for less than $20.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You're comparing apples and oranges...

The CAR handguards are smaller... like on this Colt AR15 A2 CAR Model 6520

The Colt M4 and RRA R4 Handguards are very similar

R4 Handguards:

CAR Handguards.

The M4 / R4 Handguards dissipate the heat better than CAR handguards.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
They also have a taller cross section and fill the hands better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should also try DPMS Glacier guards.  I'm really happy with the set I tried out.  

They do work well. In my experience they do vent the heat out very well. Handguards that I had with the single shields, held the heat in.

My buddies got the glacierguards unfortunately they hold in the heat on an HBAR.They came on the L&W conversion.

That systm runs hotter than a regular type upper to begin with. Talked with the guys from L&W, and they said the Glacier Guards cool the barrel better than heat shields.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The system dosent run hot at all,no heat in the upper or carrier just the barrel and I was warned by 48th highlander from grenadier precision that having an HBAR would make the glacier guards useless and he was right.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here's a set of dual shielded Colts:

do all colt m4 handguards have the heatshields glued into it?
I got a "new-rifle-takeoff" from EE mich does not have any glue in it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top