Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 5:26:22 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster M4 ordered and I am considering installing a Single Point Sling Adapter on it.
I have never removed a telestock on a M4 before and need to know if anyone has the step-by-step instructions on this removal (or any other tips or tricks). Also, is any paticular Single Point Sling Adapter better than the others? I have considered the "bolt-on" type from Daniel Defense or M1 but I'm not sure how sturdy these components are compared to the regular sling adapters that require the telestock removal. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I can help you with the stock removal.

You will need a Telestock/spanner wrench Or you may be able to get by with a strap wrench and a punch.  The telestock wrench will make your life easier.  I would also use a bandana/rag, and a pair of safety glasses (better safe than sorry)

Weapon safe, and unloaded. Separate the upper and lower.  Put the upper away, you won't be needing it until we are done.

Remove the buffer and buffer spring from your lower.  This is done by pressing down on the buffer detent and letting the buffer ride forward.  You may need to cock the hammer to get the buffer clear.  DO NOT just pull the trigger to release the hammer.  The hammer will slam into plastic and you may break the bolt catch.

Now that you have th buffer and spring out, take a spanner wrench and loosen the castle nut.  HOLDING THE RECIEVER PLATE AGAINST YOUR RECEIVER, unscrew the castle nut.  The takedown pin detent spring is on the lower right side under the receiver plate. If you aren't careful you'll lose the spring and/or detent.  Once the castle nut is about 3/4 down the threaded area, slowly slide the recever plate away from the receiver.  Keep track of the takedown pin detent spring.  It's a small part and may fall out.

Now, place a rag and/or cup your hand over the receiver, just above the buffer detent.  You may also want to put on safety glasses, just in case.  SLOWLY unscrew the stock.  You will here a 'pop.'  This is the buffer detent and spring launching itself.  If you weren't careful, this sucker just launched itself across the room.  I still have a buffer detent spring floating around somewhere in my living room.  Put the buffer detent and spring aside and finish unscrewing the stock and voila, it's done.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Now, place a rag and/or cup your hand over the receiver, just above the buffer detent.  You may also want to put on safety glasses, just in case.  SLOWLY unscrew the stock.  You will here a 'pop.'  This is the buffer detent and spring launching itself.  If you weren't careful, this sucker just launched itself across the room.  I still have a buffer detent spring floating around somewhere in my living room.  Put the buffer detent and spring aside and finish unscrewing the stock and voila, it's done.

You don't have to do all that.  Just ease the plate away from the receiver and the spring will expand slowly.  Then just unscrew the extension.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have to do all that.  Just ease the plate away from the receiver and the spring will expand slowly.  Then just unscrew the extension.

What plate are you talking about?  Sounds like you are talking about the takedown detent and spring that is held in by the receiver plate.  Here, I'm talking about the Buffer detent that will launch itself across the room if you just unscrew the receiver extention.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What plate are you talking about?  Sounds like you are talking about the takedown detent and spring that is held in by the receiver plate.  Here, I'm talking about the Buffer detent that will launch itself across the room if you just unscrew the receiver extention.

Ah...gotcha.  All you have to do in that case is depress the retainer and spring, unscrew the tube until it clears the retainer hole, and then ease the retainer and spring up.  If the tube has the proper lip and slot for the detent, then you have to depress the retainer and spring anyway.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top