Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 8:32:08 PM EDT
Picked up an A1 forging PWA rifle the other day, got it relativly cheap considering the junk parts that were on it,

Look at that ill fitting grip and handguard

cast sight base and an unmarked heavy barrel, complete with aluminum barrel clamp marks and plastic Delta Ring

buffer painted black and a Smith Enterprise bolt carrier and the most worn Colt bolt I've ever seen

Flat forward assist

Low shelf and very dirty

The previous owner of this 20" rifle said he'd shot it quite a bit and has never had an issue. Also said he bought it new as a complete rifle quite a few years ago, I dont know where he got it from but it aint no factory rifle, is it?
Worst looking bunch of parts I've ever seen, dont know the age of these parts but they are definetly old.

And now for the Silk Purse

Still need the correct M16A1 upper reciever, flat Delta Ring and a 10" barrel but it's getting close, when all the parts are together I'll moly coat it Colt Grey,

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That is Sweet YardDog!!!!!!

Very Nice
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Plastic mag catch button? Both pics?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice rifle!  Excellent job saving that old dog.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Vary nice.....I have an old PWA lower and upper...mmmmm.....I also have one of the old school Al. adj buttstocks.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Those parts are some series "look alike", or knock off parts.  Don't think the word copy would apply.  Back in those days Colt's was using the big hole uppers and lowers.  So I would use PWA, Bushmaster, or Eagle Arms lowers, and USGI parts.  I liked the Eagle lowers the best, they could be had in gray starting in about 1991, which matched USGI parts.  Even though both the Eagles and PWA's were machined by LMT, the 1991 and later Eagles were much better finished.  Once Colt's went to the correct front pivot pin hole in 1994 I went to Colt's uppers and lowers, and USGI parts.

PWA sold everything save barrels, to avoid paying tax.

Now that I am assembling clones of older rifles, am back to shopping for those old lowers.  Getting them is tough, I bought this PWA just because it had good parts on it:

gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39729362

Parted it out an ended up with $255 in the lower.  I should get the lower back from Victor Monday, had him hard coat anodize it in the old USGI gray.

Is there something wrong with the grip, or is the hole drilled way off?

Non USGI supplier parts quality has imporved quite a bit in the last 10 years.  With the Bravo barrels you can now  get proofed barrels.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Very, Very nice.

Well done, excellent job.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.
What's the story on that stock ?
What holds it in position when extended ?
I've seen one or two before but never asked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Plastic mag catch button? Both pics?

Yea still there, when I take it apart to refinish I'll put in a Colt LPK

Quoted:

Is there something wrong with the grip, or is the hole drilled way off?

Non USGI supplier parts quality has imporved quite a bit in the last 10 years.  With the Bravo barrels you can now  get proofed barrels.

Yes, the grip looks like it was made in a toy factory, very ill fitting and nowhere near spec. very hard brittle plastic
put another grip on there and fits like it should.

Quoted:
What's the story on that stock ?
What holds it in position when extended ?

The stock is from Total Silence inc. WA-Tom makes them,

dont really know how to explain them, top has the buffer tube and the bottom rod extends into the reciever in front and all held on by the adjustment lever at the rear
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a PWA lower that had a grip like that too...I replaced it with a surplus A1 grip..

Still wish I had that lower..
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up an A1 forging PWA rifle the other day, got it relativly cheap considering the junk parts that were on it,

No, you bought a rifle made from junk parts that had a good PWA lower under it.

No telling where the parts came from.

But the lower itself is pretty good.

ETA  You did a great job fixing it up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
job well done. Looks great
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that looks great.

Question on the PWA lower. Are the lowers like that without the A2 reinforcements forged?      
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top