Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 7:26:25 PM EDT
Hey guys. Newbie here. Been researching which rifle to buy in the next few months and now that I've figured which caliber I want, its off to decide on a prticular platform. I found some of these Sigs for under a grand, about average price for the level of rifle I want. Mostly recreational use but id like it to be SHTF capable. I like that the Sig has collapsable and folding stock, 16in barrel, built in optic rail, takes AR mags, and so on. I also like to be different, so a variant would suit me well. Through my reading here I've discovered the tier system most of you use when rating your weapons and which brands fall into which category. I'm along the lines of Spikes Tactical, Bravo Company, and the more costly RRAs and Bushmasters. Wanting to stay around $1000. So all this taken into consideration, how does the Sig rank among these well known AR brands? Are there any variants with a reputation as strong as the real deals? Also, I'm aware that the Sig is more a variant of a Swiss Arms rifle but since it uses an AR style buttstock and Mags I figured it belonged here. Any info you guys can pass along would be realy appreciated.

Oh, almost forgot. What's the differance in the Swat and classic models?

Thanks again,

Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Chris,

I will be honest with you.  I have owned two Sig 556 rifles.  One Classic and one SWAT.  The barrels on each of them are really nice, and the piston action is very good as well.  BUT... that is where the good things about the rifle end.   The stocks that ship on the rifle are very cheap and wobble (don't lock up very tight).  The sights are very poor and are of airsoft quality.   The rail systems that come on the SWAT (unless it is a Samson or Troy replacement) are very poor quality and are out of spec..  You basically have to buy a real Swiss stock, aftermarket rail, and aftermarket sights to improve the gun.  That will cost you $600-700.  Not worth it.  

For $1000 on a top notch entry rifle, take a look at the new rifle from Palmetto State Armory.  They have a new rifle for $999 that comes with an Aimpoint Pro optic included.  That is unheard of.  They make a top quality rifle for an amazing price.

Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt, etc all make great guns in the $1000-1200 price range.  

If you have your heart set on a piston rifle for $1000-1400, then check out Ruger, Sig 516, Stag model 8, or the Smith and Wesson PS.   For under $2000, check out the LMT CQB Piston ($1800), LWRC M6A2 ($1900-2000), or LWRC M6A2-S.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Chris,

I disagree with the previous post. Sig has had problems in teh past with various parts of the 556 but the past year they have improved the quality of them. I own 3 SIg 556's and a 551A1 and all are top quality guns. If you look on teh sig forum on thhis sight you wont find anyone that has purchased a Sig 556 made in the past 8 months to a year that is complaiming about stocks or any other real issue. Sig just started shipping teh 556 with the Swiss folding stock. All of my Sig 556's have stocks that lock up tight with no woble.

The 516 is also a great choice. I have three of them and all ar fantastic shooters.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top