Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 10:15:47 AM EDT
I just got back from picking up my new Bushy M4/A3, which was supposed to be with the barrel "cutout" for the M203. However, they sent the standard or HBAR model I guess. I just went ahead and took it home because I have waited almost three weeks and was too excited to think really. Am I correct in saying that there is no difference between the two barrels, minus the "looks" factor of course. Performance should be the same, right?

I can't wait to shoot it, should be a riot of a time!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.. Am I correct in saying that there is no difference between the two barrels, minus the "looks" factor of course. Performance should be the same, right?

Accuracy should be the same.  The weight is more with a HBAR.  Not an issue if all you're going to do with sit a bench and blast targets.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]
is it a government profile under the handguards, or is it heavy?

If it is heavy...I'd send it back and get the barrel you ordered.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]

How do you tell? Forgive me, I am a rookie when it comes to ARs?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Scott

How can you tell? Forgive me, I am a rookie when it comes to ARs!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Pull the handguards off and look at the barrel.

If its the same diameter under the handuards as it is at the muzzle, or larger, then its a heavy barrel. If it is smaller under the handguards then it may not be an HBAR.

If its a Bushmaster read the lettering on the barrel in front of the front sight. If its a heavy barrel it will say so.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Lancelot! This is somewhat frustrating. I almost just want to keep it, because I don't want to wait forever and forever before I get a new one. They are telling people 4-6 weeks now, while mine came in about 2.5 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How do you tell? Forgive me, I am a rookie when it comes to ARs?

+1, I hate heavy barrels, They kind of defeat the whole light-weight rifle concept that led to the AR15 being developed in the first place!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The HBAR is cheaper, you should at least figure out the price difference, then go from there.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe you got the pencil barrel.

If so, keep it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the HBAR.  I would keep it.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Who Cares?  Are you actually going to put a 203 on it?
-JD
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a midlength HBAR. I'd have RATHER had a govt profile barrel for the lighter weight, but there were a number of other factors (and cost was only one) that made me "settle" for the HBAR. I'm really getting used to it, and must say I like the feel and balance of it now. But then again, I don't have the foreend all pimped up with lights, lasers, bipods, mudflaps, cup holders, and a bunch of other crap to add weight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
If its not what you want. YES!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#15]
If you keep it, you will always be reminded that you settled for something you did'nt really want.

Your Bushy was not cheap.  If you ordered your new car with chrome wheels and when it arrived with regular steel wheels, would you say something or not?

Not to bash your place of purchase, but could someone have played "musical bbls" with your new AR?  Only reason I ask is I find it odd that yours came in at 2.5 weeks but if you want the problem corrected it will be 4-6 weeks.

The M4A3 is designed as a light weight carbine.  My suggestion is to keep it that way.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Agree with newbe.

Sammy
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The weight difference is .23 of a pound, so I don't think I would notice a quarter of a pound difference. I guess if I add some accessories then I would start to notice. Still contemplating....
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Like someone mentioned above, the HBAR is a little cheaper than the M4 so I hope you had your sale price adjusted accordingly. Personally, I think you should get what you wanted, but I also understand that you can't put a value on having a rifle in hand and enjoying it vs. waiting weeks for the rifle you ordered to come in. Tough call - personally, I'd have it sent back for the proper rifle as I dislike the HBAR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The weight difference is .23 of a pound,

Uhh Weight difference is a full HALF a pound - and it does make a differnce if you're doing drills all day especially over several days.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]
another thing to consider is that I hear Bushmasters are hard to come by right now (heavily backordered?).  i agree that you shouldn't "settle" for what you didn't originally order, but hopefully you won't have too long of a wait if you exchange.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Send it back and tell them to STOP SHIPPING HBARs as the standard barrel. Have them send a call tag to pick up the one going back and send out what you ordered immediately. Let them know that you are not going to settle for the Howitzer carbine barrel!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Are the HBARs chrome lined?

I didn't think they were.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Are the HBARs chrome lined?

I didn't think they were.

Yes they are.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#24]

If you keep it, you will always be reminded that you settled for something you did'nt really want.

Your Bushy was not cheap. If you ordered your new car with chrome wheels and when it arrived with regular steel wheels, would you say something or not?

Not to bash your place of purchase, but could someone have played "musical bbls" with your new AR? Only reason I ask is I find it odd that yours came in at 2.5 weeks but if you want the problem corrected it will be 4-6 weeks.

The M4A3 is designed as a light weight carbine. My suggestion is to keep it that way.

newbe

+1.  I agree, it will always nag at you if you didn't get what you ordered.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#25]
For anyone who cares, I took the advice of what most people posted on this thread and took my new Bushy back. Who knows how long it will take to get my AR now! Sucks, but what are you gonna do? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Let me wish you a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#27]
It will be worth the wait.  Trust me.  You'll get the EXACT Bushy you want held in your little paws and say to yourself, "Now THAT's what I'm talkin about!"
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Hands down I would get the M4 profile you where after in the first place.
These are the best carbine, all around. I simply LOVE mine!!
I would get in direct contact with Bushmaster and see what they offer to do.If
nothing else, see if they will just send you the right barrel, and you can just skip
the B/S the local gun shop is trying to feed you. I know Bushmaster is probably busy,
but come on.....they weren't too busy to build that one you have!If you can do a barrel
swap they can send that right to your door!

Good Luck, and YES it is worth the wait!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#29]
You can see the difference in the pictures.

The price difference is only 10 bucks, but it's not what you wanted..

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl16m4a.jpg
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl-16a.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top