Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:28:55 AM EDT
i'm trying to save some $$$s ... my Dewey coated cleaning rod needs to be shortened by 12" + ... there's some type of screw/nut assembly on the handle, but i need to find a 'fork' screwdriver blade or make some gizmo to unscrew it ... before i shop/buy/make that gizmo, has anyone tried this before? how difficult was it to shorten the rod? where did you find/buy the special screwdriver?

edit:
well, taking off the screw/nut was easy with a modified 'tack puller' screwdriver, but the aluminum shank pressed onto the rod won't budge...lost cause...i ordered a new 25" cleaning rod
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking to buy a Dewey rod at a discounted price,  you feel like saving yourself some work, selling it to me, and buying yousrelf a new one?

Let me know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
that Dewey rod was 15+ years old..it was in great shape before i used my finely tuned machinist skills on it...unfortunately, now it's toast  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Haha, where did you end up buying it? How much was shipping after tax?

How long of a cleaning rod should I get? I want one that I can use to clean a 20" barrel.

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
i looked for a graphite cleaning rod, but could not find the proper length..instead, i went with Brownell's 509-000-006  BSTX-2225-00 22 CAL. 25  BORE STIX ..with rod guide installed in the receiver, my 16" measures close to 25"..add another 1" for brass brush clearance and it should be the perfect length for cleaning and easily fit in a 35" discreet case
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top