Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 6:13:54 PM EDT
I understand how the tax thing works and you pay the 200 dollar tax and fill out a form 4 and all that stuff but what happens if you move?  What if you are in the military and you move often?  Can you still keep it registered at your home state if you keep it in the base armory at your new base(all personal weapons on base have to be kep in armory storage instead of in your house anyway)?  What happens when a civilian with one moves and has to change state residency?  Also what is the link to a chart that displays state laws on Auto, SBR, handgun, and AOW ownership.  My home state is Alabama and I think everything was legal to register except a SBR on that list.  Maybe they are classified as AOW because I am pretty sure people register and own them there.  I can always change my state of residency to own one but can I take it with me without a hassle?  And yes guy I have checked out the ATF website and could find nothing on military moves.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If your gonna build one yourself you have to file a form 1 and pay the tax. If your moving you have to file a form 5 every time you move .
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What if you have it registered in your home state but then you move to a SBR unfriendly state?  I would still be a resident of my home state (pay taxes there) I would just stay in the state of my base.  Is that what a form five does?  Let me guess.  If I had to be in a non SBR state I couldn't have my rifle there even if I am not a resident (tax payer)!!  That would suck.  If you have one registered as a civilian can you even leave the state you live in with it even if you aren't moving and you are going to a shooting range or something?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If your moving you have to file a form 5 every time you move .

My friend, you are off by a little.

To move, OUT OF STATE, with title 2, one fills out a 5320.20.

A form 5 is a non-taxed transfer to/from government entities, tranferring to heirs or gunsmithing work to name a few.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Still nobody answered my question so I will make it simple.  If you legally get one can you go out of state temporarily to shoot it without a hassle as long as you have all your documentation?  I stay in one state and "live" in another.  Kind of like being on a 20+year business trip.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Still nobody answered my question so I will make it simple.  If you legally get one can you go out of state temporarily to shoot it without a hassle as long as you have all your documentation?  I stay in one state and "live" in another.  Kind of like being on a 20+year business trip.

Yes, fill out the form (I forget the number) at the beginning of the year that allows you to transport the NFA weapon. Make the form out for a year at a time. The state you are visitng has to be NFA friendly however, otherwise they won't sign off on the transport form.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
As Mark stated for 5320.20 is the form to file to a NFA weapon out of state temporaly or permantly.  It doesn't matter which, but you mast state that in the form.  Welcome to the dark side.  You better star saving for a machinegun.  SBR's and AOW's are just gateway drugs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are moving into a state, even temporarily, that does not allow SBRs, you cannot take it with you.  Your form for transfer will not be approved, and if by chance it is, you are still in violation of state law no matter what the ATFE feds have said or done.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top