Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 4:17:36 PM EDT
Any of you target shooters out there have any good ammo to utilize for good groups at 100+ yards. I have been using some bulk Wolf stuff and while its been reliable in my Varmint AR, I am not exactly getting the best groups out of it.

I am not looking to get some ultra match $20 a box stuff, but how about some suggestions for some affordable yet accurate plinking ammo Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the best cheap accurate .223 ammo I ever fired has been 55 grain Federal American Eagle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
BHBB 52s.  Cheap and shoot great.  ~$14/box of 50.  Actually, any Black Hills ammo.  It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have shot black hills 52 HP with good results. Any of the federal soft or hollow points work well.
I tried some old stock 55 grain federal soft pont today in my 16 inch bushie and it was around 3/4 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards. I also like the Walmart Winchester (made in Israel). Its not as tight as the others but still can get groups under 1 inch with it.
JR
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree, my 24" Varmit loves BHBB 52gr. MHP but it also likes the WWB 45gr. HP almost as well. Both will average under 1" but the BHBB is a little better. For 55gr. FMJ, BHBB and Federal AE are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
BLACK HILLS BLUE BOX 75gr or 77grBTHP  ITS MATCH GRADE AMMO.

the 75gr cost 19.95 for 50rds             www.MIDWAY.com

and a bit more for 77gr.

Also I like the 68/69BTHP also and should cost even less?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Below is a group I shot yesterday with some very old Black Hills 52 gr HP. Flyers are not typical with this gun so I guess it was me. It was a little foggy and trying to shoot between the fog coming and going.

Group also shot yesterday with my 16 inch bushie and Black Hills 55 grain Soft Point
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top