Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 6:33:40 PM EDT
Currently I own a Colt 6920 (complete), and a SBR that is a Stag lower with a Colt 11.5" A1 upper. There's also a KAC RAS-II laying around here that I could sell. Hmm. The ARMS Aimpoint mount would have to go, too.

Would I be nuts to sell the 6920, KAC RAS-II, and Colt upper, then use the funds to buy a LMT MRP w/ 10.5" and 16" barrels?  What I have works.  The MRT isn't going to function any better, but it is simpler since the rail is integral.  Also, instead of buying a dedicated 6.8mm upper, I could buy a barrel and bolt group when available.

Is the MRT lighter than a traditional upper receiver + rail system?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
From everything I've heard lately, the 6.8mm is obsolute because it has never lived up to the performace hype....., looks like most "Hi-Pro" AR enthusiasts are now leaning towards the  6.5 Grendel!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Despite most of the people on here's opinions on Colt, LMT is the closest Colt copy there is on the market right now.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt copy???

You have my interest now!  

I have a couple of Colt USGI M16/M4 uppers that need Lowers, but most non-Colt Lowers are much darker in color

How well does the LMT's color match Colt's??
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
LMT is jet black.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From everything I've heard lately, the 6.8mm is obsolute because it has never lived up to the hype....., looks like most hi-pro enthusiasts are now leaning towards the  6.5 Grendel!!

This is a garbage post. WTF is a hi-pro enthusiast anyway?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Despite most of the people on here's opinions on Colt, LMT is the closest Colt copy there is on the market right now.

Which Colt does the MRP copy?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Bummer!!

Funny how the original "Black Rifles" (Colt) aren't even Black!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
DevL:

"Garbage Post?"

Let me see if I can put this in "verbage" that you can understand.......,

"Hi-Pro (Hi-Preformance) Enthusiasts" =  "Them their folks that's a gonna do fer AR's ta' makes em' shoots phlatter & hits harder & jest all's around purforms bedder"

Why do you think there has been a move towards AR uppers chambered in 6.8 SPC & 6.5 Grendel?

Is it to get "less" performance out of the AR???

Me thinks not!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which Colt does the MRP copy?

Talk about something thats dead.

Proprietary barrel, Proprietary upper. And not much to offer other than a monolithic rail.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That should say it all. It's still just a copy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Would you consider the VLTOR VIS instead of the LMT MRP?

The VIS will take standard barrels.

Don't sell your guns, I did that before with my former SP-1 to buy a new Colt A2 model and I'll never do that again.

Introducing the VLTOR VIS! thread link
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the VIS, but is it as easy to swap barrels with the VIS as it is with the MRP?

I'm also curious about Larue's possible entry.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Would you consider the VLTOR VIS instead of the LMT MRP?

The VIS will take standard barrels.

Don't sell your guns, I did that before with my former SP-1 to buy a new Colt A2 model and I'll never do that again.

Introducing the VLTOR VIS! thread link

I sold a SP1 that I had... I regret selling it also. Why Does VLTOR do this to me after I got the CASV?

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Close your eyes and slowly, very gradually, back away from the crack pipe.  I know you think it loves you and makes you infinite promises, but you gotta yell at it, scream at it at the top of your lungs, " YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME SELL MY COLT UPPERS!!  SURE YOUR SMOKE GOES DOWN SMOOTH AND MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M FLOATING ON A CLOUD OF TITTIES, BUT ASKIN ME TO SELL MY CHILDREN IS GOIN TOO FAR!!"  

Honestly dude, you WILL be going through years of regret if you sell off these Colt uppers...  

DON'T DO IT!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MGI's upper is less expensive and takes regular barrels, plus I agree that I would wait and see what comes from LaRue

Cheaper because the execution of the handguard/rail component of the system looks like shiite.  

-Big fat, YHMish tube
-Shiny, grainy, nasty finish
-Rails with the center milled out (are they even in spec?)

Don't get me wrong, the MGI upper is a great concept, and I love the idea of the throw levers (instead of using a torque wrench like on the MRP or the "disposable wrench" with the VIS.  The MGI is the only true QCB system out there (that I'm aware of).  I also love how the upper is machined to use with AK mags in conjunction with the proper lower.  

It's like they put so much thought, creativity, and forethought into the upper's concept, but when it came to the rail...they took a dump.  

Keep the Colt's uppers for now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top