Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 5:14:50 PM EDT
Hello, I'm attempting to remove the A2 stock from an early-1994 Colt.  The buffer tube seems to be stuck in the threads and won't budge no matter how hard I try to unscrew it.  I've applied RemOil in an attempt to get it to seep into the threads, but so far, the tube is still frozen in place.

I'm hesitant to apply more force for fear of twisting the lower receiver.  I'd rather save the buffer tube, but if I have to, I'll destroy it if that is the only way to get it off.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this problem?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it staked?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question.  How would I check for that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure. I just thought I read once about something being staked on some Colt stock assemblies (castle nut on telestock version or buffer tubes). Mine have always come right out. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem with my pre-ban Colt. The experts on this site pointed out that some of the Colts had their buffer tubes "loctited or equivalent" to the receiver. They had recommended using a heat gun to the buffer tube and/or receiver to break the bond. I was to chicken to do it myself and ended up having a smith do it. The smith used a propane torch to heat the buffer tube and he easily removed it within seconds. No damage to the receiver or the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same prob not long ago. I set the buffer tube upright and sprayed a little WD-40 onto the threads and let it sit overnight.

The next day I loosened it by hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is the full size buttstock buffer tube, it is normal for a Colt buffer tube to be that tight. I had one removed by my gunsmith friend on my Colt AR15A2 lower. He said that was the toughest one to be removed off of a Colt lower. The staked buffer tubes are seen on the tele stocks. You can't miss the indentations they used for locking the buffer tube retainer plate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine took some effort to bust it's nut too. Try soaking that mofo in WD40. Leave overnight, reapply more WD40, and warm the receiver threads with a hair dryer. This is safer than a torch for us novices.
I put the receiver in a vice at the threads, and used two cheap romance novel on each side to prevent marring and to spread the preasure a bit.
Then found the biggest wrench I owned, and cranked on that SOB. Once you budge it, it's easy from there on.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
BTT because i CANNOT fucking budge mine, tried WD-40, tried valvoline synpower, tried heating with a hair dryer and its still a bitch, any more ideas?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
nevermind, with enough beer, a who gives a shit attitude, complete disregard for the stock buffer tube, and a pipe wrench later im ready to install my collapsible..................
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
if it's loctite try a lil heat on it that'l loosen it up [snoopy]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top