BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2011 3:19:21 AM EDT
I bought a can of 5.56 ammo from a guy here on the EE, Lake City.

I was surprised when it came to see that it is, in fact, an unopened can of ammo, sealed with sire and a stamp thing.

I've not seen one of these before, like this.

How often do these come up for sale? Is this somewhat rare or unusual? The numbering on the side indicates it is from August 2001, but since it is sealed, you think the ammo is still good to go?

I looked around the web for images of sealed unopened cans of ammo from Lake City and didn't find anything, so thought I'd post some pics here. It shows some scuffing from being moved around and stuff, but otherwise is in fantastic condition.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Open it up, let's see what's in it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah bust it open
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#3]
need inside pics

never know what might be in there
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
could be rocks
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a couple of these from ammoman.com a couple of years ago. This is fresh from lake city and it should be green tip in 10 round stripper clips and bandoliers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
open please! i wonder since it says "10 round clips " on the side.. if it actually comes with the ammo in the clips....
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
open please! i wonder since it says "10 round clips " on the side.. if it actually comes with the ammo in the clips....

it should clips, cardboard,bandos. That date looks like the same as when ammoman was selling it in the wooden boxes (2 cans) for a decent deal

There was no difference as far as I could tell form the real deal
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It is the real deal, down to the seal. I wonder how folks get this stuff to sell in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even if it wasn't sealed, the ammo would still be fine.  That's pretty cool, with the wire still in place and everything.  Shame to bust it open, but I'm assuming you bought it to shoot it, right?

There was a member who had two cans listed. I bought them both, they came threw in a wood crate. I was shocked. I couldn't bring myself to shoot them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It comes 30 rounds to a box, with 10 rounds per stripper.  It is loaded on clips.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a couple of these from ammoman.com a couple of years ago. This is fresh from lake city and it should be green tip in 10 round stripper clips and bandoliers.

Same here. A friend of mine has a tactical training company and would buy this stuff by the pallets from Eric at ammoman. I got a couple cases gratis once for helping him out...2 cans in the wooden case, M193 IIRC. Fresh, clean LC ammo as issued. In bandoliers on strippers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought M193 was QC cast off from making m855?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought M193 was QC cast off from making m855?

No, M193 is 55 gr. FMJ with lead core.  The M855 "green tip" is 62 gr. with the steel wedge in the tip.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Well thank you, Captain Obvious!

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Well thank you, Captain Obvious!

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
These are the kind of finds that I always like to think magically "fell off the back of a truck."

Great find - I think I'd have a hard time actually opening them since one doesn't see them typically sold that way. Keeps it interesting by not feeding into the curiosity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
How good it is depends on storage conditions.  Sealed or unsealed, the conditions ammo is stored in is the limiting factor.

2001 isn't that old.  If I remember correcly the .mil rotates ammo out after 10 years of so.
But since the .mil has been using ammo like it's going outta style for years and years I have a hard time thinking any ammo in thier storage bunkers makes it to that age these days.
Gets one thinking why IF perfectly good ammo, this didn't end up ventilating Hajis.
It's possible the .mil found some bad lots and got rid of it.

Crack it open and give it a try before you set it aside thinking its good to go for another 10 years.

When I was in the Corps just as I was getting out they busted the Gunny running the ammo at the rifle range..... trying to sell 50,000 rounds of 5.56mm to what he thought was the IRA...

"PORT Slegehanmmer!"
"Break rocks, BEGIN!"
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]
To the IRA? A Gunny? What a disgrace.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll probably open it when my son comes back from college next time. He always gets Yugo ammo all boxed up and in a "spam can" that he has to open, so he'll enjoy cracking this one open with me. If I can hold out long enough.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Ummm....You can buy some,exactly like that, right here...http://palmettostatearmory.com/1760.php
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't see a seal on the can, like I have on mine.

Wonder why?

Maybe because the two cans are sealed in a wood box?

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't see a seal on the can, like I have on mine.

Wonder why?

Maybe because the two cans are sealed in a wood box?

You are right !  I only read the discription last night. And promptly closed the window... as my cc does not need a new balance.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It is the real deal, down to the seal. I wonder how folks get this stuff to sell in the first place.

The same way XM855 becomes available. LC produces an overrun or a lot is rejected by the DoD. The ammo is held to very strict standards. Even though it may all go bang, if too high a percentage of the lot has the smallest of defects, it will be rejected.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I know, I was tempted to get it and I checked with Palmetto and they are brand new ammo cans, so....

I got the can in this thread for only $200.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know, I was tempted to get it and I checked with Palmetto and they are brand new ammo cans, so....

I got the can in this thread for only $200.

Is there more .
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope....I checked.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How good it is depends on storage conditions.  Sealed or unsealed, the conditions ammo is stored in is the limiting factor.

2001 isn't that old.  If I remember correcly the .mil rotates ammo out after 10 years of so.
But since the .mil has been using ammo like it's going outta style for years and years I have a hard time thinking any ammo in thier storage bunkers makes it to that age these days.
Gets one thinking why IF perfectly good ammo, this didn't end up ventilating Hajis.

Crack it open and give it a try before you set it aside thinking its good to go for another 10 years.

When I was in the Corps just as I was getting out they busted the Gunny running the ammo at the rifle range..... trying to sell 50,000 rounds of 5.56mm to what he thought was the IRA...

"PORT Slegehanmmer!"
"Break rocks, BEGIN!"

Back in my younger days in the military, I remember getting .30 cal ball and some .50 cal  that was dated early 50's, some of the .30 was WW2 and had been repacked into new cans.  Stuff was at least 40 yrs old....every rd popped like it should.  Age does not matter much on the ammo the US military is using, as mentioned above, how it's been stored is the key.  That's why the ASP folks always called the ammo bunkers "igloos", or at least where I come from.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just got mine in from Palmetto a few days ago, and mine was a unmarked can (no yellow markings) and its clear its not painted over. Its got the same seal. They also have if you buy 2, it comes in the wood/wire crate. The pic on the website does show markings, but who knows. They also said theres they opened, was 2010 LC. I opened mine after seeing no markings, to make sure it wasnt rocks, and found just what they said.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting. Did the wood box indicate what was in the cans inside?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interesting. Did the wood box indicate what was in the cans inside?

Unknown.. I only ordered 1 can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"PORT Slegehanmmer!"
"Break rocks, BEGIN!"

Back in my younger days in the military, I remember getting .30 cal ball and some .50 cal  that was dated early 50's, some of the .30 was WW2 and had been repacked into new cans.  Stuff was at least 40 yrs old....every rd popped like it should.  Age does not matter much on the ammo the US military is using, as mentioned above, how it's been stored is the key.  That's why the ASP folks always called the ammo bunkers "igloos", or at least where I come from.

I sent some .50 cal ball from 1952 downrange to the Taliban last year. It all worked fine, we had a shit ton of it, as well as AP. All 52 and 54 stamped.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Now that is awesome. Thanks for sharing that. I doubt the Taliban appreciated your use of historic ammo as much as you did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Sealed in that can under proper conditions ... August 2001 in brand spanking new !

I'd shoot that stuff in August 2101 and not hesitate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, I hope I make it to August 2101 to test your theory!

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought a can of 5.56 ammo from a guy here on the EE, Lake City.

I was surprised when it came to see that it is, in fact, an unopened can of ammo, sealed with sire and a stamp thing.

I've not seen one of these before, like this.

How often do these come up for sale? Is this somewhat rare or unusual? The numbering on the side indicates it is from August 2001, but since it is sealed, you think the ammo is still good to go?

I looked around the web for images of sealed unopened cans of ammo from Lake City and didn't find anything, so thought I'd post some pics here. It shows some scuffing from being moved around and stuff, but otherwise is in fantastic condition.

http://cyberbrethren.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/seal-close-up-500x373.jpg

http://cyberbrethren.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/lake-city-box-500x373.jpg

I bought 2 cans ( bando blacken out ) 02 headstamp
got 1 can and 1 bando left

all went bang accuracy could of been better!  rather have IMI

Love to sell the other can

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#39]
How much?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got a can from palmetto looks great green tip,stripper clips in boxes in bandoliers with seal on can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Wideners or somebody was selling it a few years back before prices skyrocketed. I have a case of it and it came just like your with the seal on it. I don't remember the date on it but that sounds about right. It was supposed to be military reject some said. It had the green tip on it. I just bought some of the IMI as I believe the Israeli stuff is the best made.
JR
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got mine in from Palmetto a few days ago, and mine was a unmarked can (no yellow markings) and its clear its not painted over. Its got the same seal. They also have if you buy 2, it comes in the wood/wire crate. The pic on the website does show markings, but who knows. They also said theres they opened, was 2010 LC. I opened mine after seeing no markings, to make sure it wasnt rocks, and found just what they said.

Same here. The ammo is good to go. Got mine about a month ago.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
ptmccain,

I can promise, unequivocally, that your can of ammunition is gtg, as long as the factory seal has not been tampered with. If you would like any added reassurance, IM me and I'll run the lot number.

I get paid what I would consider decent money to know these things - I'm about to move approx. 150,000 or so in a few weeks.    

The rest:

To an extent that would not compromise any sensitive information, feel free to ask me about .mil air or ground munitions. I can answer most questions with the exception of the sub-surface stuff. I'll leave that to the submarine dudes in the crowd.  

Semper Fi,

SS
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I remember when AMMOMAN had those.  They seemed expensive at the time and I passed on them.  I wish I'd have grabbed a few in hindsight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Some guy is trying to sell 72 round of "Vietnam era" M193 and is asking $50, plus the cost of shipping.

They are just in brown cardboard boxes. No bandos, no can.

When you factor in shipping, you are probably looking at 83 cents a round.

Worth it? I say no. You?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How much?

I would like to find someone close to my town. Punta Gorda
I bet shiping would cost out the ass??
The 50cal can is heavy
Plus I never shipped live ammo before so I dont know if that would add to the shipping cost?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some guy is trying to sell 72 round of "Vietnam era" M193 and is asking $50, plus the cost of shipping.

Worth it? I say no. You?

For much less he might as well shoot it. Someone might want FC65 for their war room.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+1 same here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth it? I say no. You?

For much less he might as well shoot it. Someone might want FC65 for their war room.

Not sure what the big deal about old ammo is.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a can of 1970 m193 that belonged to a friend who passed away. He had a lot more but his cuz "stole" it along with a bunch of guns and never paid the wife for it,
JR

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top