Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2003 3:51:37 AM EDT
I tried posting this in the AR-10 section, but did not get enough information.  I am hoping that the optic gurus that lurk here can offer some sage advice.

I just got my AR-10 flattop carbine.  What I want to do is put an full size ACOG on it.  What I have is about $750.  What I want is a TA11.  What I can afford is a TA01.  People who seem to be in the know say that with the TA01 I will end up with it stuck in my eye due to eye relief issues.

Had anyone out there actually tried a TA01B on an AR-10?  And if so, do you now wear an eye patch, or is it overblown?  Is having two eyes overrated?  Also, if it just will not work then why does Trijicon even offer the TA01B.

An option would be the ELCAN.  They are out there at some really attractive prices (compared to new ACOGS).  Anybody use one on an AR-10?  

I am not going into action or preparing for the apocolyptic SHTF scenario.  Heck, I dont think I even qualify for mall ninja status.  I am just giving myself the present of a nice rifle and setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I know at least some people who use the TA01B successfully on AR10s, so it can definitely be done.

Whether or not it would be something YOU would be comfortable with, I can't answer. Anytime you increase recoil and decrease eye relief there is some potential to get thunked.

I would say that I think the advantages BAC offers in the TA11 are well worth waiting and saving up the extra money for.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:03:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That would be a big issue for me.  The A2 stock is too long for me.  I have rather short arms, and while it is not a major bother using an Eotech or Aimpoint, I can't get anywhere near the charging handle without getting into a rather odd position.  I am not sure even an A1 stock would get me close enough.  Ideally I guess a 6 position retractable would help out, but that seems only a longshot when the dust settles next year.

A good 3-9 variable would be the best for what I really want to do with this rifle.  I just wanted a more "military" look with lots of cool factor, of which an ACOG has a plenty.

I still may go for an ELCAN if I get too impatient saving up for a TA11.  It seems like a neat scope that would suit my rifle well.  I am aware of the Elcan's limitations compared to the ACOG, but I do not consider them too great to rule it out.  The only thing that bothers me is the reticle.  I just have a hard time using a post.  Donuts I can live with, but at heart I am a crosshair kind of dude, hence my original desire for a TA01B.

In the end, no matter what rides on top of my AR-10, I got one big grin on my face every time I pull the trigger.  This is one bad boy that looks mighty nice sitting next to its little brother in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The [i]effective[/i] eye relief of the ELCAN is not much better than the TA01.  The rubber armor of the ELCAN extends past the rear of the lens by about 1/2" making everything else critical.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The [i]effective[/i] eye relief of the ELCAN is not much better than the TA01.  The rubber armor of the ELCAN extends past the rear of the lens by about 1/2" making everything else critical.
View Quote

I'd say you have at least 1" more eye relief with an ELCAN than a TA01. I have used an ELCAN on my AR10 carbine with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The ELCAN eye relief is 70mm (2.75") while that of the TA01B is 1.5".  The rubber armor on the ELCAN reduces its effective eye relief by 0.5", so yes, the ELCAN is better by about 3/4".  I find that to be a bit short, especially when firing prone.

Part of the problem was possibly me getting into the right position consistently and the fact that I removed the brake in favor of a different muzzle device.  The factory brake covers up the fact that the rifle is overgassed and generates quite a bit of recoil.

The TA11 doesn't tap me on the forehead everytime I take a shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top