Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
Alright.... I've never run an adjustable gas block, so I pretty much know jack about them.  But, I'm building a new 3-Gun stick and it's come up as something I should look into.

Basically, I'm building a light(ish) weight 18" right rifle length gas and full rifle length buffer tube and fixed stock.

My standard 3-gun match loads are a moderate pressure 55gr FMJ load for within 200 yards, and a warm 77gr. Load for beyond that out to 600.

The question is.... Would an adjustable gas block really provide much in the way of benefit?  With a compensator, this set up generally runs pretty soft anyways, so would I get anything out of it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Get one. They're only about $40 more if you shop right. I bought one just to check them out. I can't see using anything else now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
This instructional video should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDCZttBkUi8&feature=youtu.be

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The absolute only downfall about them on Car gas system and longer is $40 bucks extra.

Oh and some very skinny rails have clearance issues.

If you have lightweight buffer, lightweight carrier, or a reduced power buffer spring you should definitely get one.

If you have all full mass rifle components you don't need one, but you rifle jumps more than necessary.

Pistol gas system might erode away the screws pretty fast, but that does not apply to you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The absolute only downfall about them on Car gas system and longer is $40 bucks extra.

Oh and some very skinny rails have clearance issues.

If you have lightweight buffer, lightweight carrier, or a reduced power buffer spring you should definitely get one.

If you have all full mass rifle components you don't need one, but you rifle jumps more than necessary.

Pistol gas system might erode away the screws pretty fast, but that does not apply to you.
View Quote

Thanks.... That's what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
They are best for allowing the reduction of reciprocating mass or tuning for suppressor use.

I have one on my 18.  An SLR.  Low mass bcg and buffer.  Hot 77 grain, it doesn't budge compared to a typical stock carbine with m193.

The other one I have is on an SBR made it easier to get running suppressed as it is over gassed without it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The hell with it.... Grabbed an SLR Titanium clamp-on adjustable gas block last night.... We'll see how it works!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
SLR is the one to get    (:
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
SLR is the most popular.

Syrac Ordance is also good.  I own both.  I like both.

I have $15 set screw models that suck, but once set they are fine too as long as you are not switching between suppressed and not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used a couple of cheaper blocks with the brass set screw. I ended up stripping the brass screw on both of them. Never again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top