Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:08:34 AM EDT

I saw a couple flip up rear sights with a Same Plane Aperture feature? It got me curious and I read what i could find about the idea. So what am I missing? Why aren't all rear AR style sights using this design?

Can someone explain the choices between the same plane and A2 standards?

thanks,
mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
So I guess until I read about this I would have assumed all sights were like this... why is the A2 not a same plane design? happenstance? Or is there some reason?

thanks,
mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The military thinking on the sights was that you'd use the small aperture for precision fire from 800 down to 300m by dialing the wheel and then the switch to the larger "0-200m" aperture included a switch to a 200m zero.  Probably was a bit of a carry-over from the A1 sights where the apertures were the same size but with different offsets so that you changed ranges by flipping back and forth.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top