Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:37:53 PM EDT
Saw this in a catalog today. Sounds like it's a bunch of discs instead of buckshot. I'd think the pattern would be really weird at anything over point blank distances.

Anyone ever use this?

High-efficiency surface area with low penetration... allowing for higher velocities resulting in a greater amount of energy to release. 12 heavy-metal alloy discs per shell weighing approx. 1 3/4 ozs., 2 3/4"l. with velocities of 1,200 F.P.S.... that's 2,000 ft.-lbs. of energy! Such a great shell that the military is now using them.

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213926
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It shoots lead washers?  Bet those dont penetrate worth a shit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have screwed around with "alternative loadings" in 12 ga.  Both commercial and homebrewed.  IMHO you are right on, this would be useless at anything more than PB range.  Most anything with any aerodynamic variability goes crazy at just past the muzzle.  If the stuff is bound togeather, you have one big slug that dosen't fly worth a darn, if it isnt, it goes all over in a random pattern.  The only application this might work better in is possibly door breaching where you wanted the heaviest blow you could get, at the muzzle.  Otherwise I would view it as a novelty only, like those dragon rounds...

Oh yeah, "4 Dram Eq!!!!"  Yikes!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be pretty wary of any company using the term "energy release" to sell ammunition. Same thing with 'energy dump' and 'energy transfer'.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see those replacing the Hornady TAP low recoil 00 buckshot loads in my 870 anytime soon.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top