Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2010 1:26:56 PM EDT

Ok so I just got off the phone with my brother in law in SC who sent me the below pics. Apparently he and his father pinned a F/H to a "brand new mind you" 14.5" Colt barrel they recently got. After everything was said and done his father inspected the barrel and found that the pin / wall of the barrel is protruding outward between the rifling groves. I see the pics and am wondering WTF... How? And then the truth comes out... They just didn't use a steel pin, they used a set screw, which they then hand tightened as much as possible!!! Now my brother in law is an easy 6ft 3", 275 lb and he decided to hand tightened that sucker in as far as it would go? Anyways now there asking me if I think this thing is safe to shoot? Hell if I know, pretty sure you can kiss the accuracy goodbye, but will it blow up in their faces???

Well that's where my fellow ARFCOMERS come in, what say you:

A: They trash it?
B: They send it to a smith and get it cut & redone?
C: They just shoot the thing with eyes closed and fingers crossed?

Let the barrage begin…  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not a Colt it is now a Glock

B
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell am i looking at?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
That small amount of irregularity in the bore does not constitute a true obstruction, any more than the gap caused by the gas port does, so it shouldn't pose a KB risk.

Using a setscrew won't count for legal "permanent attachment" to get around NFA SBR barrel length minimums, nor does it count to get around muzzle threads for the NY assault weapons ban, unless they then welded over the setscrew.
(never mind, just reread the bit where they're in SC)

I recommend B or C.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
What could possibly go wrong with a projectile traveling at  3000 ft/s hitting a hardened steel screw?

The gas port hole doesn't protrude.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
sell to someone that owns an SBR, or AR pistol. Cut down/rethread.

I would not feel safe with that. Woudl it work? possibly. I've seen strange shit in operation. But i'm not personally willing to risk it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It looks like it's in one of the grooves, and not on a land... Will it blow up? PROBABLY not... Is it a good idea to shoot it? Absolutely not.

The optimist in me would fire it, (maybe remotely, using a piece of string, depending on how brave/not brave I'm feeling), and see.

But the pessimist in me tells me to strongly advise anybody else against doing as I do.  

Maybe use it for a cheap dedicated .22 upper..., or chop it down and put an extended flash hider on to make up the difference, or make a pistol barrel out of it.

Like I said, I highly doubt that it's going to cause the weapon to explode, but it almost certainly ain't gonna be accurate. And that small small chance that it MIGHT cause problems, should be enough to give them pause, before firing a full-powered rifle round through it.

Another option is to just trash it set it aside for a possible future project, and get another replacement barrel. Chalk the cost up as tuition, toward the School of Hard Knocks...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The pics were taken just above the F/H looking down into the barrel. You can see the dimple left over inside of it from where they placed the set screw. Rear of Flash hider into beginning of barrel / threaded portion.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That small amount of irregularity in the bore does not constitute a true obstruction, any more than the gap caused by the gas port does, so it shouldn't pose a KB risk.

Using a setscrew won't count for legal "permanent attachment" to get around NFA SBR barrel length minimums, nor does it count to get around muzzle threads for the NY assault weapons ban, unless they then welded over the setscrew.

I recommend B or C.

My thoughts exactly... Another reason for them to either send it out or just chuck it!!! Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
1. Take their tools away.
2. Recommend a good shop to them and send a pre-printed mailing label.
3. Pray they follow your advice.
4. Send them a couple of pair of shooting glasses, for some reason I doubt if they have any.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't shoot that.  If you're lucky, it will just make the barrel inaccurate; if you're not, it will destabilize the bullet enough that it strikes the FH and rips it off the front of the barrel.  Send it off to someone like Adco to get cut down, recrowned, and have a longer FH perm attached.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like it's in one of the grooves, and not on a land... Will it blow up? PROBABLY not... Is it a good idea to shoot it? Absolutely not.

The optimist in me would fire it, (maybe remotely, using a piece of string, depending on how brave/not brave I'm feeling), and see.

But the pessimist in me tells me to strongly advise anybody else against doing as I do.  

Maybe use it for a cheap dedicated .22 upper..., or chop it down and put an extended flash hider on to make up the difference, or make a pistol barrel out of it.

Like I said, I highly doubt that it's going to cause the weapon to explode, but it almost certainly ain't gonna be accurate. And that small small chance that it MIGHT cause problems, should be enough to give them pause, before firing a full-powered rifle round through it.

Another option is to just trash it set it aside for a possible future project, and get another replacement barrel. Chalk the cost up as tuition, toward the School of Hard Knocks...

Lol... Thats just what my brother in law said he was going to do before my sister caught wind of what they were doing, Lol... The AR is now on lock down and I gave them the number to ADCO...

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recommend B or C.

My thoughts exactly... Another reason for them to either send it out or just chuck it!!! Thanks...

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny story about test firing guns.

For about 2 years I was the lucky one between my brother and I that had Medical Insurance so I was the default guy to test all reloads and newly modified guns because I was covered if anything happened.  Thankfully nothing happened and we never had to call 911.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Wheres Chumly have it cut. then sell it to someone who has a SBR
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Option B..........

Give it to someone you don't like!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like a story gunsmiths hear alllllll the time... """My "friend", "uncle", "wife"... did *insert absurdity here*... Can yah fix it? """
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
next time just get a 16".
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
ADCO (or someone comparable) is the answer here.

Might be alright, but why chance it over a couple bucks?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#19]
It's no good....give it to me and I will dispose of it for you!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Take the upper.
Beat them with it till the barrel is bent.
Mount it above their work bench.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I would not use that barrel. That part of barrel being screwed up could affect accuracy and perhaps safety.

Send it to ADCO, have them cut it down, re-crown it, and pin and weld the comp or flash hider.

Out,
rfenergy
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Tell them Ill buy it for $20.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#23]
What makes people who have no business working on firearms think they're capable of doing so?

Only option is having it recut and threaded, like everyone else says.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What could possibly go wrong with a projectile traveling at  3000 ft/s hitting a hardened steel screw?

The gas port hole doesn't protrude.

+ 1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top