Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
I recently saw some of these Sabot Light Armor Piercing rounds at a gun show. They were in 7.62 NATO nad appeared to be a solid steel 5.56mm projectile in a .30 cal plastic sabot. Anyone ever tried any of these? What kind of velocity do they achieve with that light round being fired from a 7.62 case? I am assuming they were originally designed for use in LMGs???
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen them years ago! Never used them ? But I do know what you talking about.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Supposedly, there are problems shooting a sabot load if you have a flash suppressor.....dunno, never tried it.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
i've read that these are unstable and start to tumble pretty quickly once they've been fired.  so i guess they are not that accurate, OR not as accurate for the price$$$  if you really wanna shoot SLAP, then get a 50 cal.  those SLAP rounds work better (more accurate).

Craig
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Never mind
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The 7.62 S.L.A.P uses a Carbide core with the Sabot and required a faster twist. It was replaced with the M993 jacket carbide core.

Art - Silver State Armory
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What were the penetration specs for it? Muzzle Velocity?

-K
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The 7.62 S.L.A.P uses a Carbide core with the Sabot and required a faster twist. It was replaced with the M993 jacket carbide core.

Art - Silver State Armory

Tell me more.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top