Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2010 7:32:37 AM EDT
I was looking for an inexpensive mount for a new lightweight build I'm doing for my girlfriend, so that I can reclaim my KISS LMT 14.5". I figured I'd go with the SSALT rather than the Burris PEPR to save myself $10. However I realized that they pulled the mount, have been working on a new version, and, in my quest for additional info, that their industry section is inactive.

Well I emailed SWFA inquiring about an ETA for this supossed new version and was informed that:

We just received the final prototypes today and they have passed our inspection process so manufacturing should begin next week and delivery should be within a month (I hope).

We made the distance between the rings slightly wider to accommodate scopes with a large saddle (Falcon, IOR, USO, etc.),  we changed it cosmetically (slightly) and made it lighter.

I think you will really like it.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Long Live SWFA and Super Sniper!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I find it somewhat unlikely that folks buying 1k optics (USO, IOR) are putting them in that mount but who's to say.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
For a few dollars more, I would get the Nikon M223 single piece mount LONG before that PEPR...but now that I ETA...I am not sure if the M223 is 30MM or 1" like you can get that PEPR.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I find it somewhat unlikely that folks buying 1k optics (USO, IOR) are putting them in that mount but who's to say.

I have to agree! The more likely culprit may be Falcon but I suspect there are other issues surrounding this redesign, such as legal risk.

Quoted:
For a few dollars more, I would get the Nikon M223 single piece mount LONG before that PEPR...but now that I ETA...I am not sure if the M223 is 30MM or 1" like you can get that PEPR.

The M223 looks decent but two things I don't like are that it only comes in 1" and it has a 20MOA cant. Most quality scopes use a 30mm tube while lesser expensive scopes are generally 1". A 20MOA cant is not neccissary for lower powered scopes, such as the very popular 1-4x since most guys won't be shooting very long range with a low powered optic. To have a scope mount geared towards the lower end of the scope market and price it at $100 seems like a poor decision. Aside from an LT mount, I can't see myself paying 40-70% of the scope for a mount.

Another thing that I like about the SSALT, aside from the cost, is the fact that it does not include those ugly, useless, tacticool-looking railed ring caps.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would say its more likely they lost the Chinese manufacturer and had to go to some other chinese factory and it turned out differant.
I have a SSALT on one of my guns with a leupold mark AR 1.5x4 and its OK for a cheap mount though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was looking for an inexpensive mount for a new lightweight build I'm doing for my girlfriend, so that I can reclaim my KISS LMT 14.5". I figured I'd go with the SSALT rather than the Burris PEPR to save myself $10. However I realized that they pulled the mount, have been working on a new version, and, in my quest for additional info, that their industry section is inactive.

Well I emailed SWFA inquiring about an ETA for this supossed new version and was informed that:

We just received the final prototypes today and they have passed our inspection process so manufacturing should begin next week and delivery should be within a month (I hope).

We made the distance between the rings slightly wider to accommodate scopes with a large saddle (Falcon, IOR, USO, etc.),  we changed it cosmetically (slightly) and made it lighter.

I think you will really like it.

Chris

no quick release styled clamping system, I wish they would lose the bolts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no quick release styled clamping system, I wish they would lose the bolts.

The only reason I'm glad that it's not QD is because that'll drive cost up or it'll be crap.. maybe both. Look at all of the decent QD mounts:
Larue
Bobro
ADM
Dick Inc n/m I said decent

IMO if you want a QD mount, as much as it may hurt the wallet, just buy a Larue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The previous SSALT was a thinly veiled copy of the Burris PEPR.....with just a few differences......only came in 30mm (but included spacers for 1") and non-railed top ring sections.  My guess is that Burris called foul.

Anyway, I was hoping for an SS version with QDs at a reasonable price.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What about the RRA Cantilever mount.Is this a good mount for the money?30mm and 1''.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about the RRA Cantilever mount.Is this a good mount for the money?30mm and 1''.

Decent option. I like the cleaner, less bulky style of the SSALT.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decent option. I like the cleaner, less bulky style of the SSALT.

I think the RRA is one huge brick of a mount. Good thing about it though, if you use a #40 or #40L BUIS, and have the notch facing aft on the upper, they fit snug underneath the mount.

I always thought the PEBR was just a rebranded version of the SSALT...not vice versa...but I am not a fan of the PEBR so I never really checked into it. Always eyed he nikon as I stated before.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
So any word on what they changed or improved on the new SSALT mount?
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2nd sentence of the quoted email in my first post; they slightly increased the distance between the rings and made minor cosmetic changes. Again, I suspect this is to differentiate it from the PEPR and reduce legal risk.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the PEPR was released prior to the SSALT, so the SSALT would be the copy.

I have held and compared the RRA mount.  Yes, it is heavy and the machining & finish is somewhat crude compared to the PEPR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2nd sentence of the quoted email in my first post; they slightly increased the distance between the rings and made minor cosmetic changes. Again, I suspect this is to differentiate it from the PEPR and reduce legal risk.

Sorry, don't know how I missed that?

Seemed like a nice mount for the money before. If the changes come out right and the price doesn't go up, seems like it will be a real winner!
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone seen a release date for this yet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#17]
double
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen a release date for this yet?

No. I emailed Chris at SWFA on Tuesday to see if there was an new info but haven't received a response yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack the thread but since they do not have one shipping here is our new deluxe mount. If the OP objects I will delete my reply.

Available in standard, extended, dedecated 30mm and 1" vesions. Railed top cap is options.

Marshall

PEPR on the right for comparison.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Compare-1.jpg

Cross section with PEPR on right
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Compare2.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/OlegExt.jpg

That mounting system on your 'deluxe' mount appear to be no better than some NCSTAR or Leapers crap from the looks of it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2010 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually looked at some NC Trash today (not to buy, just looking), there is no comparison! The NC Sumthin was basically a crappy set of rings on a paper thin rail mount.
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack the thread but since they do not have one shipping here is our new deluxe mount. If the OP objects I will delete my reply.

Available in standard, extended, dedecated 30mm and 1" vesions. Railed top cap is options.

Marshall

The 2 on the left are PA, PEPR on the right for comparison.

Cross section PA on left PEPR on right

I wish mine would show up...I ordered my scope the same day(April 8th) and its been waiting for that mount for 3 days.....I wish i had ordered the Burris now
I am even in Texas......April 8 to April 13 and no mount.....
edit: i ment May 8 to May 13th....doh!

Link Posted: 5/13/2010 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marshall

I wish mine would show up...I ordered my scope the same day(April 8th) and its been waiting for that mount for 3 days.....I wish i had ordered the Burris now
I am even in Texas......April 8 to April 13 and no mount.....

Come on. I am pretty sure this is one of two orders that we exchanged emails and phone calls on. Our fast shipping is legendary. You see in the tracking that it hit the Houston Post Office right away. All Friday night and Saturday morning orders hit the main Post Office and are in rout on Saturday. Texas order usually get delivered Monday.

The Post Office decided to send two orders from Houston to Chicago and back to Texas. Why who the hell knows.

If you don't get it tomorrow call me and I will overnight another one.  My cell # is 832-723-4919  
Marshall

I will call you if it don't. Thanx

Link Posted: 5/14/2010 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Marshall

Wow, thanks Marshall. I had no clue you guys had this mount. Last I saw you guys only had a CAA-like mount which IMO looks like crap. This one looks great, appears to be well built, I like the low-profile design, and it the lack of railed tops is a big plus IMO. I've been keeping an eye on your mini red dot thread but no others. It looks like I'll be placing an order for your 30mm mount and a mini red dot v2! Out of curiosity, are you able to weigh the 3 mounts? Do you have 30mm to 1" inserts available? If not do you know if LaRue inserts would work?

SSALT UPDATE:
Chris at SWFA responded to my email earlier today and informed me that the last sample they got did not hold up to the severe abuse they subjected it to while testing. They submitted changes, have the new samples in route, and as long as it passes their tests (which they have very little doubt it will) expect product in a month.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Got my Primary Arms mount in yesterday...very nice and they gave me a free rail top too.Put a low cost Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on it.
Raining today so can't go sight it in....dang it! Thanks Marsh....

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top