Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:03:04 PM EDT
SOLD

I recently bought a preban Colt AR.  Before that, I had a Bushmaster with push pins in the front and back.  The Colt has two large flathead screws in front holding the upper to the lower.  I took two flathead screwdrivers and tried turning them counterclockwise at the same time from each side, and they won't come loose.

Any suggestions?  I don't know if these things are rusted, or if I am just doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Back up the bottom screw driver in a vise, then have someone hold the rifle on it while you apply force to the upper slot with the other screw driver (note: remember to us the correct size screw drivers).

If you still have problems, then use a trashed screw driver to transfer heat to the screw ( blow torch on the middle of the screw driver that is held in the slot).  This will break down any Loctite that may have been used on the screw.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Do I need screwdrivers that are made specifically for gunsmithing, or can I just use a couple of big flatheads?

As for the locktight, I think you are right, when I pushed the screws back and forth, I saw what appeared to be dried up red locktight residue (white powerdery appearance).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use any flathead that fits well.  And I loc-tite mine too, after having one fall out.  Good idea, put heat on the screwdriver instead of the aluminum receiver, that will do it when hot enough.  Let the heat do the work though, you don't want to strip out the screw, unless you are a real pro with a dremel tool.  Fulton armory has replacement screws at a decent price.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top