Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 5:02:20 PM EDT
Say you wanted to make one of the hottest things going today a SPR'bine of course off of a Bushmaster Dissipator platform and Vltor stock, and optics. Answer these questions for me please.

Say your currently running a RRA Weaver Gas Block which only purpose right now is just to hold the handguard retaining ring in place with the normal handguards. I'd just as well go without a front sight and base of any kind except for the noticeable area left behind where the taper pin cutouts and white metal remain. It's a Dissipator so the gas system ends well under the SIR.

Should I...just suck it up and get the PRI front sight, GGG flip up, leave the Weaver gas block (don't think it'll look right), or is there another alternative?

Also, do you even use the handguard cap with your SIR. I have seen one pic with and in many others I can't tell if it's there or not. Why use it if yes.

Thanks alot and post pics if you like.
Mark

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You could go either way. Personally, I like having iron sights on any gun, even if they are just for backup duty. I'd go with a PRI personally, for your situation. I took the handguard cap off on mine. No need for it with the #59, and with it off, you get that much more airflow around the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Hawkeye-
Glad you posted. I kinda had you in mind as one of the people I wanted to hear from when I put these questions out there.

So no handguard ring. I was thinking about the improved airflow aspects of that too. Since all the ARMS products incorporate a provision for the #40 BUIS looks like having some iron's on board like the PRI is the best thing to do. Adds no small amount to the shopping list though.

Here's the rundown of the must have's:
ARMS #59 Rifle length SIR
ARMS #40 Back up iron sight
PRI Front sight
Vltor Mod Stock

That's around $800 besides the Bushmaster and the EOTECH 552.

Thanks,
Mark

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Or you could have either a KAC or Troy Industries rail mounted flip up front sight mounted on the forward portion of the SIR.  That could also be a cool option.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or you could have either a KAC or Troy Industries rail mounted flip up front sight mounted on the forward portion of the SIR.  That could also be a cool option.
View Quote

Thats exactly how New-arguy has his. Very nice setup. However, since mk1iii is using a dissi barrel, if he removes the extra front sight base/gas block, there is going to be the exposed part where it used to be, and the cuts on the bottom of the barrel for the taper pins. This is only cosmetic mind you, and would be purely up to the owner as to whether it bothered him or not.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Would the FSB leave any marks that couldn't be taken care of with a repark?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Knightone-
A touch up pen of gun blue does a fair job at matching the color of the parkerizing but it would still be too obvious as the metal surface differs greatly not to mention the taper pin cut outs on the bottom of the barrel. Really the only choice is some kind of folding front sight base to act as a cover up (also providing back up front sight)or replace the barrel with a 16" carbine type with a shaved gas block and place the back up sight off of the SIR which would be ideal though the most exspendsive option if you didn't already that kind of barrel like in my case. I have a dissipator which seems to dictate a barrel mounted folding sight to be most practical.

-Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top