Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:13 AM EDT
I'm considering building a SBR.  If I get the stamp and register the lower, it is my understanding I could use any number of short barreled uppers on the one receiver. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
yes you can use other uppers in different barrel lengths and calibers.

check out the sbr and class 3 forums under the "armory" tab
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind that you are supposed to be able to recreate the original stamped configuration or notify the BATFE of the permanent change.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind that you are supposed to be able to recreate the original stamped configuration or notify the BATFE of the permanent change.
View Quote

When your stamp comes back, you must initially build it in the configuration that was mentioned on your Form 1. As soon as you do that, you are free to change it up however you want (caliber, length, brand, etc). There is no requirement that you have to be able to bring it back to it's original configuration or notify the ATF when you change it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When your stamp comes back, you must initially build it in the configuration that was mentioned on your Form 1. As soon as you do that, you are free to change it up however you want (caliber, length, brand, etc). There is no requirement that you have to be able to bring it back to it's original configuration or notify the ATF when you change it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I've been doing this a long time and i never knew this! I thought that once approved the lower receiver could only use the barrel length and caliber of the approved form one.  I'm not doubting you; i just didn't know this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really?  I've been doing this a long time and i never knew this! I thought that once approved the lower receiver could only use the barrel length and caliber of the approved form one.  I'm not doubting you; i just didn't know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope - you can use what ever upper you want as long as you have the ability to restore it to the original configuration (or amended configuration if you sent them a letter)
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, swap uppers at will. However, NFA would like to be notified of any "permanent" change to the weapon's registered configuration. From ATF's website:

"Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA."

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya learn something every day; thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top