Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 2:43:32 PM EDT
Does anyone know for sure how much the BATF charges (tax stamp) for a SBR? I've gotten conflicting info so far.    Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
$200 smackers...
and a LOT of waiting...

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$200 smackers...
and a LOT and lot of waiting...

Danny
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
To make an SBR: $200
To transfer an SBR: $200
To make an AOW: $200
To transfer an AOW: $5
To transfer a MG or auto sear:$200
To make a SBS:$200
To transfer a SBS: $200

Pretty much everything is $200 except to transfer the AOW.  That is the one that gives people the most trouble and seems to cause the most confusion.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's see - $200 for a carbine with 12-13" OA barrel length including FH, or "no extra charge" for a 16" OA barrel length, including 5" FH. Hmmmmh.  3-4" shorter weapon for extra $200 (plus LOTS AND LOTS OF WAITING). That permanently attached 5" FH is looking better and better by the minute!! Thanks, guys

Next question - how would one prove to a LE officer (ATF or otherwise) that a FH was silver soldered in place (using SS paste; i.e., legal), as opposed to being Loctited, epoxyed, or whatever?
Thanks again, for future input. (Enquiring minds want to know!)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
All that hoop-jumping for a couple inches less of barrel..to me, not worth it. If it's what floats 'yer boat, then have at it!

I have never had to prove anything to an LE. Not their business, and you can tell them so, where the permanent attachment of the FH is concerned. As for a registered SBR or any other title II weapon, you must have the tax stamp in your possession at all times when you have the SBR or whatever in your possession.

Most cops wouldn't know what a tax stamp is, allows you to possess, or looks like anyway!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Let's see - $200 for a carbine with 12-13" OA barrel length including FH, or "no extra charge" for a 16" OA barrel length, including 5" FH. Hmmmmh.  3-4" shorter weapon for extra $200 (plus LOTS AND LOTS OF WAITING). That permanently attached 5" FH is looking better and better by the minute!! Thanks, guys

Next question - how would one prove to a LE officer (ATF or otherwise) that a FH was silver soldered in place (using SS paste; i.e., legal), as opposed to being Loctited, epoxyed, or whatever?
Thanks again, for future input. (Enquiring minds want to know!)

Keep telling yourslef that its good enough to have a 5" flash hider.  You will spend more money having it removed after you get the tax stamp.  Just pay the money and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I took a reduced copy of my Stamped Form1, rolled it up and put in the vertical fore grip of my SBR.  That way it is always with the weapon.  I also have copies in plastic sleeves and stashed in my various range bags.  I never have to remember to have a copy with me.  The original is locked in my fireproof safe.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have never had to prove anything to an LE. Not their business, and you can tell them so, where the permanent attachment of the FH is concerned.

I'm not so sure that telling any LEO that my method of FH attachment is none of their business.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot at a indoor range.. Lots of LEO there.. This is the only TitleII  friendly range I can find...M16 mags dumps get smiles and nods... Ive never been asked for F1s or 4s  But I do keep one in my range bag.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never had to prove anything to an LE. Not their business, and you can tell them so, where the permanent attachment of the FH is concerned.

I'm not so sure that telling any LEO that my method of FH attachment is none of their business.

You don't have to be as "forthright" as I was in my original post; it pays to be polite, I guess. But, in the end, it really is not an LEO's business...if it's a legal weapon it's legal. Seems to me the only LEOs that would hassle you over it would be the anti-gun types. I guess the moral is be polite but at the same time let them know that you know your stuff and will not be harassed. We have enough law-abiding citizen harassment in this world!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes I would pay $200 for 3-4 more inches of penis, same goes with 3-4 less inches of barrel.  Same difference, same value of having something most men don't.

Where can I get an extra 3-4 inches of penis for $200??  Would I have to register this weapon with the ATF?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I think its worth the $200.  IMHO the 5 inch flash hiders are butt ugly and you lose the ballistic advantage of the 16 inch barrel.  If you are going to give up the extra velocity, you might as well cut down the barrel.  I've got a few SBR's, the full size guns just sit in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to be as "forthright" as I was in my original post; it pays to be polite, I guess. But, in the end, it really is not an LEO's business...if it's a legal weapon it's legal. Seems to me the only LEOs that would hassle you over it would be the anti-gun types. I guess the moral is be polite but at the same time let them know that you know your stuff and will not be harassed. We have enough law-abiding citizen harassment in this world!

State regualtions do not specify method of attachment.  At least not here in Texas.  Therefore its NOT any of their business.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As for a registered SBR or any other title II weapon, you must have the tax stamp in your possession at all times when you have the SBR or whatever in your possession.

Most cops wouldn't know what a tax stamp is, allows you to possess, or looks like anyway!

There is no requirement to have your tax form in your possession.  It's a tax form!  Do you carry your 1040A around from last year just in case you get stopped and asked if you paid your taxes?  In fact, one of the guys I shoot with here in Tucson is a Class II/SOT and when he builds a post sample, there is no paperwork to carry.  What should he carry, his buisness license and FFL?  Having said this, the only time I've been asked for paperwork, was by the guy running the local indoor range.  Never by LE.

Recently, we were shooting his post sample MG42 at the Tucson Rifle Club and hearing the noise, several people gathered around to see what we were shooting, including a DPS officer and two Sheriffs in uniform.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top