Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 9:35:13 AM EDT
hey everyone, at work today, one of the detectives brought in his Patrolman's carbine that he keeps in his trunk.  He wanted me to look at his trigger as it has rust on it.  I have snapped pics and would like some input on:
1. is it harmful (does anyone else have this on their trigger and it is fine?)
2. What is causing it
3. How can he prevent it.

It is in a soft sided black carrying case (like an uncle Mike's) but there is no name brand on it.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/bobafett126/Picture002.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/bobafett126/Picture001.jpg

any input would be appreciated, thank you for looking!

eta: tried making the pics bigger
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics need to be bigger to see what your talking about. Is there wear on the finish of the trigger?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Being from the Pacific NW myself I know that it can be a very damp environment.  

1. Is it harmful: Over time it can cause pitting

2. What's causing it?:  In short oxidization (just kidding)

3. Oil it, and properly store it.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
1. is it harmful (does anyone else have this on their trigger and it is fine?)

Not if he cleans it off.

2. What is causing it

Water.

To be specific.  Keeping the firearm in a sealed container that most likely is using open cell foam (which retains moisture), and not treating the weapon correctly.

3. How can he prevent it.

1) Oil the damn rifle.  CLP is the best at preventing rust.  A little goes a long way.  For the trigger he can use a q-tip and put a light coating on the rifle.

2) Get a better method of storing the rifle.  Either a decent case with closed cell foam (if the current one is open cell) or a decent hard case with closed cell foam.

But the most important thing is to periodically inspect and clean the firearm with CLP.  Most especailly the steel parts.  The -10 (downloadable from this site for free) has directions on places to lube.

BTW I'd also check the barrel under the handguards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I'll try to post some bigger pics. looks like I reduced too much in photobucket!

Stickman, thank you for your input.  I am sad to say that I am a Firearms Instructor and Glock armorer for my agency and have put in for the Colt armorer's course but have been refused each time, eventhough we have 5 DRMO A-1's.  (It all boils down to available money in the training fund unfortunately) I am totally open to any input or direction you may have via IM or otherwise.

again, thanks to everyone for their help here.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Stickman,

I'm one of 2 here on the range staff and neither of us has been approved to go to Colt Armorer's.  If you want to IM me some detailed steps to take I am  more than willing to listen!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/bobafett126/Picture004.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/bobafett126/Picture003.jpg

the rest of the rifle is in great shape, I don't believe it has been shot very much.  Here are some pics to look at.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#9]
CLP and an old toothbrush are his friends.  He might want to try some Bullfrog VCI products in his carry case also.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top