Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2011 9:11:36 AM EDT
Found some old rubberized car bumper paint and tried it on a plastic collapsible stock.  It gave it a nice look, very close to the rubber coated aluminum Colt stock.  Seems to be real tuff stuff. I need to put one more coat on it as soon as the weather clears.  

Top carbine has a real colt stock.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

Good on ya for experimenting
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how that stuff would work for "nekkid" sling swivels that were once rubber coated?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting!  How's that stuff feel against your face?  It doesn't actually have a rubbery feel, does it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very interesting!  How's that stuff feel against your face?  It doesn't actually have a rubbery feel, does it?

It feels a lot like the colt stock.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Here's the web page:

http://duplicolor.com/products/bumperCoating/

You can get it in AutoZone stores or from their website, or from Summit Racing and probably other auto-stuff sellers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why would you spray it on your face?

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't look quite as "shiny". Does it have the same slick smooth texture?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It doesn't look quite as "shiny". Does it have the same slick smooth texture?

It will be as shiny with another coat and  it feels similar to the Colt.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Very, very interesting. Please keep us posted once you put the second coat on.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks pretty damn good Al.  A possible low cost solution..........
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very, very interesting. Please keep us posted once you put the second coat on.

I might have to pick up another can.  The one I was using is old and the paint is staring to clump up as I spray it. I think its almost empty.  Gloves are a must as the stuff doesn't was off very well.   I should have it done this weekend and will post new pics.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is the final coat.  Its not perfect, but looks and feels pretty good.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how that would look on a fiberlite stock?
Ralph
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ralph

This is plastic or fiberlite, not sure which.   It came off a bushmaster carbon rifle.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
i think people had good results with the krylon black hammer finish spray paint as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ralph

This is plastic or fiberlite, not sure which.   It came off a bushmaster carbon rifle.

Why yes it is!  I should learn to read better.  Looks great.  This will fit nicely into my forth coming project rifle.
Thanks,
Ralph

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
That looks pretty good...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Fortis120 for what I consider was an excellent idea.  I've re-furbished my fair share of furniture over the years and never even considered using bumper coating.  I just did a fiberlite stock and a few bare metal sling swivels and the results were excellent.  I've had the bumper coating for over 15 years and was surprised that it even still worked.  Only spent the last five years living in the garage and was left over from detailing cars many years ago.  I tried both plasti-kote #616 and Dupli-color black flexible bumper coating and both worked equally as well in my opinion.  So far only one average coating.  Will stress test after curing.  Bernie,  stock look familiar.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks Fortis120 for what I consider was an excellent idea.  I've re-furbished my fair share of furniture over the years and never even considered using bumper coating.  I just did a fiberlite stock and a few bare metal sling swivels and the results were excellent.  I've had the bumper coating for over 15 years and was surprised that it even still worked.  Only spent the last five years living in the garage and was left over from detailing cars many years ago.  I tried both plasti-kote #616 and Dupli-color black flexible bumper coating and both worked equally as well in my opinion.  So far only one average coating.  Will stress test after curing.  Bernie,  stock look familiar.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN0676.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN0677.jpg

You are welcome.  What I like about it is it doesn't feel like paint. More of a rubber feeling like the real deal and if it starts to wear, I'll just add another coat.

I picked up several original stock parts several years back. The role pin on the locking nut adds to the Colt look.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I kinda like the way it feels also. It also sprays pretty good for a rattle can with the old style spray nozzle.  I'm gonna try it on a couple of crack repaired D stocks instead of fusion.  I usually fix em up and give them to the local youth shooters.  They are gonna even get coated swivels this time.  Try and help them out when I can.  Keep the retro hobby alive and many kids don't like the trap door stuff.  Heck I'm no kid and I prefer a C or D over an E or A-2 anyday.  I can easily sand off a few ozs for the real light rifle build.  Chicks usually dig a 6 1/2 lb 20" A-1.  Ice cream comes in different flavors for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent job, Congrats on a job well done. Thanks for sharing this info with the other members.................
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top